What have you bodged using an alu drinks can?

Corduroyboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Reading the post about road vs mtb stem got me thinking!
So as it says - What have you bodged?

I'll kick off:
Used part of a can as a shim to fit lower race of headset on forks.
Used lots of a can to make a shim for a 1 1/8" stem to fit 1 1/4" forks! :shock: How I didn't die still amazes me! :p

I've used a part of a tin can for a seatpost shim. Still in there in my Proflex 753 - works a treat!

Can we extend this to what we have had to resort to out on a ride when facing a mechanical?

I had to use barbed wire when out on a ride to convert a freehub which ended up spinning both ways (you know when the pawls break) into a fixed gear by tying the cassette to the spokes with said wire!

eeerrrrrrr...nothing on a bike but i repaired a car exhaust with a coke can, some gun gum and 2 jubilee clips! :LOL:

Seatpost shims on a number of bikes (I find Red Bull cans work best - of course like all cans but the idea that there's some RB nearby seems to give me a bit more go) and shimmed a headset race onto some forks (was very pleased that it worked perfectly first cut).

Lots of use of spacers at b/b and cassette but of course these were proper spacers not something I bodged up.

Best bodge on the go was repairing a tyre with a 6 inch split with a boot fashioned from a banana skin. This was on the road and the skin withstood high pressure very well indeed.

I've always liked the idea of stuffing your tyre with grass to get home when you run out of tubes - can't see how it really works but a good idea/story nonetheless.

I'm sure I tried that grass trick once but without success! If anybody can give us the tip on how to do it!!

orange71":2ty4fff0 said:
I'm sure I tried that grass trick once but without success! If anybody can give us the tip on how to do it!!
find a field that has been mowed and use those big grass clumps you get well lots of those big grass clumps you get and really stuff the tyre full then ride home gently or push it failing that phone good old mum for a lift ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :cool:

We spent half an hour shoving in as much grass as possible into mates fromt tyre. 10 mins in most of it had worked it's way into one small area of tyre giving a flat tyre with big bump once per revolution. Kept on adding grass each time it did this but still not a very good solution - ended up walking to save knacking the rim...

screw on freewheel bodge

I've used one before now as a kind of 'makeshify helicoil to fix a screw on freewheel which had stripped a sof allow hub...

i used to use cotton to prop up iffy granny ring threads. it'd stay tight a few weeks for all but the roughest of rides

Back