Retrobike Peaks Dad’s Army Rideout October 13th and 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
MadCowKev

Forgive me but i don't see many cake shops on my travels round the dark peaks round here.. :? Looks like i'll have to stock up on some cup cakes for the trip...oh, and some wet weather gear, sun cream (yes i know it's gonna be October), shades, map for when i get lost and one of those fold-up chairs with the drinks holder!! :LOL:

Lookin forward to it already... :LOL:

Recce Homo

Going out tomorrow morning to check a few possible routes for the Dad's Army Rideout... more news from the front line tomorrow night!

Mr K

I ll do my best to be there .

Car share anyone from the south east ? James or other

Taking the pain so you don't have to....!

Max and I sallied forth to check out a route which looked and sounded from my various guidebooks, maps and hazy 10 year-old recollections as do-able for the Dad's Army Crew come October...

Sadly this was not to be the case - the first hour was sheer graft to the top of Kinder from our Hayfield base across to the top of Jacob's Ladder. The fearsome descent was even fiercer than I remember it (on my old 955 with youthful fearlessness), although the run down to Edale Cottage Cafe has awesome scenery to salve the frayed nerves. By-passing Hollins Cross we traversed Rushup Edge and returned to Hayfield via Roych Clough to consider our learnings in The Sportsman pub (October's HQ).

All in all it took the best part of six hours (!) of which probably only 2 1/2 hours was actually pedalling - unacceptable for a social rideout!!!

At least now we've the basis for a decent trail ride - running out of Hayfield in the reverse direction to the one we took, fabulous views across to Castleton most of the way, then an awesome 2 mile gradual descent down into Edale for the cafe stop. Once rested we'll visit Hollins Cross (unavoidable push for 20 minutes) then back along Rushup. Depending upon time, we have the option to cut over the A624 at Peep O' Day for an extended offroad run back into Hayfield. We reckon a 4-5 hour ride depending upon weather and mechanicals.

The initial idea of 2 rides in a day doesn't look feasible now - however we've concocted an idea for a leisurely Sunday morning 'demo day'. I'll have a short route out of Hayfield of about 2 hours tops, in which we'll swap bikes and generally fool around comparing how they ride etc. Bear in mind there maybe some hangover related lethargy..!

Max and I will ride the complete route in it's entirety in 2 weeks time - but I think it's a corker that takes into account our ages, our bike's ages and that most of us are used to trundling through forests (Cannock, Sherwood and N. Downs) - epic scenery without the epic pain and risk!

More anon.

Neil

Attachments

• Puffing Billy!.jpg
    Puffing Billy!.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,450
  • Thinking better of Jacob's Ladder....jpg
    Thinking better of Jacob's Ladder....jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,450
  • Broad Clough.jpg
    Broad Clough.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 2,450
Famous for 5 minutes

Forgot to mention - as I was coming down Jacob's Ladder I stopped to chat to some young guys attempting to get to the top (yeah, right... :roll: ). We got chatting about the old stuff and it became apparent that they hailed from Warwick. Turns out that one of them knows our very own Jez (or his reputation at least... :cool: ) having met him and his Ti in John Atkins Cycles...

It's a retro-small world indeed... :cool:

Mr K

Neil - those lumpy bits look loads more impressive than our southern lumpy bits! Looks like Marin County! - Can't wait!

Neil, I'm going to try to make this on the Saturday now, I'm not going to stay over but I think if I can get there in 2hrs its worth it for a few hours riding.

Plans may change obviously depending on whether I become a dad in the meantime but I think I should be safe enough :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back