1993 Marin Eldridge Grade

SMD

Dirt Disciple
This is me 93 Marin Eldridge Grade that I have owned from new.
I raced and abused it for a couple of years then it got bunged into the garage. Started riding it again early this year. All original except for saddle that I just replaced. The Cateye Mity 2 fitted in 93 still works too.
I love this bike !!

Marin.jpg

Bought exactly the same bike six months ago with the aim of renovating it. At the moment I'm enjoying using it so much I can't bring myself to strip it down. It rides like a dream and on a 26 mile ride last Sunday had no trouble keeping up with and often passing people half my age on modern expensive bikes.(although they didn't help themselves with fat knobbly tyres on a mostly road ride). This is my bike, which now has semi-slicks.
The renovation can wait till the winter

Attachments

• Marin99.jpg
    Marin99.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 8,562
Hey Gerry, that hasn't had much use before you bought it has it?
Still got reflectors and the black finish on the cranks.
If you don't mind the question, what did you pay for it?

No problem - I paid £50 for it. The cranks are modern Alivio and the rear mechanism Acera, but I've bought the correct period Deore cranks (sadly the silver not the black) and rear mechanism to go on it sometime. It looks tidier in the photo than in real life. There's no frame damage but there are a few scratches on it which I've touched in for the time being using my own mix of grey primer and black gloss enamel - got a reasonable match eventually. I think the seat is the Marin original and I've also got the Marin Lite off-road tyres which are in such good condition I doubt whether they could be original. Ever since I bought it I've noticed quite a lot of similar period Marins in the various two-tone schemes, so they must either have been very popular or were built to last.

93 Marin

My brother has an immaculate and completely original Bear Valley SE from the same era, currently lying in his garage.

I really wanted one of those Eldridge Grades! If I remember rightly they're pretty damn light as well???

Good to hear it's back in service again!

Greig. :cool:

Yep, nice that you've had it from new SMD. Wish I still had my Palisades.

£50's a bargain by the way Gerry..!

Gerry, the original seat I just took off mine was a different shape to yours and had red rails.
GMC mine weighs 11.6 kg according to the wifes WiFit board.
beavis, still remember it cost £780 new.
So if Gerry paid £50 that means its cost me £43 a year in depreciation

Back