Surly Big Dummy

ferrit

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Heres my latest ongoing build which is now rolling but still in need of some finishing touches..

I realised I wasnt to enthralled with dragging two ankle biters along in trailer and need something that would do the job a little better. The Big Dummy seemed to fit the bill nicely, the xtracycle format would allow me to mount two child seats to the rear deck with a bit of fettleing.

The bike should be suitable for a little off road whether with the nippers on board or not. I orginally built it up with Maxxis High Rollers (2.7 front, 2.5 rear) on the Mavics but the drag on tarmac was huge so I have chucked on a set of Twin Rails which should roll significantly better but dont look quite as good.

The rear deck wants a little refinement and a double stand is essential as its a real pig to push/manouver when the kids are on board although once you chuck a leg over and start riding you cannot really tell the extra weight is there.

DSCF0234-1.jpg

DSCF0238-1.jpg

DSCF0249-1.jpg

Frame: Surly Big Dummy 16"

Fork: Surly Big Dummy

Headset: Hope
Stem: Thomson 110mm 10 deg rise OS
Handlebar: Titec J bar
Grips: Dimension cork grips with Cinelli cork tape, with hemp binding
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Hope Mono Minis
Brake Pads: hope
Brake Cables: Hope stainless braided
Cantilever cable hangers: n/a
Brake Levers: Hope Carbon levers

Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace barcons
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR bottom pull
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR rapid rise
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire switch braided
Cassette: Sram 990
Chain: 2x Sram 991
Cranks: Middleburn RS7 (175mm) square taper
Crank Bolts: Middleburn
Chainrings: Middleburn 22/32
Chainring bolts: ?
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN54
Pedals: Outland kustom wood effect

Hub Skewers: Hope
Rims: Mavic en321
Hubs: Hope Bulb 36h
Nipples: yes
Spokes: dt swiss db
Tyres: Halo twin rail dual compound
Tubes: Michelin dh

Saddle: Brooks Ti Swift in honey
Seatpost: Thomson 27.2 x 320mm
Seatpost Binder: Thomson 30mm

Weight: hahahahahaha yes lots.

i LOVE it...

one of the best looking bikes ive seen...ever...its even up there with my Lobo..

awesome work.. ;) ;)

edit, ive just googled this frame wondering if you can still get them... and yes you can...

fantastic!!

fingers":2jzje6ke said:
Thats very cool. I dare say it'll prove a touch difficult to pull wheelies on though...

Depends how fat your kids are I suppose :roll:

ferrit":fqbymfdt said:
The rear deck wants a little refinement and a double stand is essential as its a real pig to push/manouver when the kids are on board although once you chuck a leg over and start riding you cannot really tell the extra weight is there.

It was that kind of nonsense that meant you had to buy this in the first place! :D :D :oops:

Back