Help/advice needed on restoring a 1991 Marin Palisades Trail

Daniel B

Retro Newbie
Hello all, complete newbie here, a member of another forum suggested I posted on here :D

I have a bike as per the title, which is a little the worse for wear - does anyone remember them?
Dark grey frame, with NEON yellow forks/stem/handlebars.
Double butted chromoly frame, with a 300LX groupset on it.

The frame has started going rusty, so it may be that I need to get a donor frame to replace it - is it generalyl curtains if these have started going rusty?
They were alegedly coated with a plastic substance that would mean they would never rust :? so I fear water has got inside the frame and it has rusted through.

If the frame is rescuable, I intend to get it stripped, and painted in the same colours, but then my next challenge will be the period stickers/decals.

I have a couple of contacts who might be able to help me out, and I'm planning, (when I get the bike back at the end of the month, fingers crossed if the house purchase all goes through) to take some pictures, and measure the decals, and send them off to a few 'sticker makers'

Any tips or advice on how I should proceed?

Cheers

Dan

Cheers TP - great thread, have just e-mailed Gil, and will see what he comes back with :)

Also searched for other Marin threads, and have found a wealth of info, including the 1991 brochure I remmeber looking through that helped me decide to get the Palisades in question - awesome website!! :cool:

I feel I can get somewhere with this now.

I see you have a Lavadome - I had one of those on my hitlist when I was looking way back in 1991, a Trek 830 was also on my list as well, and an Alpinestars, can't remember which one.

Cheers

Dan

I told you this site was addictive, but you didn't listen, you just started searching for old brochures, now look where you are :D...you'll be replacing anything you can with period gear now...just you wait!

Abandon hope all who enter Retrobike!

Re: Help/advice needed on restoring a 1991 Marin Palisades T

Daniel B":hnfkk6e6 said:
I have a bike as per the title, which is a little the worse for wear - does anyone remember them?
My first proper mountain bike, would love to see a pic.

Re: Help/advice needed on restoring a 1991 Marin Palisades T

stevet1":1a7ron42 said:
Daniel B":1a7ron42 said:
My first proper mountain bike, would love to see a pic.

Hi Steve, no problems, when I get it back from storage will do the deed, but it isn't much to look at to be honest at the moment :cry:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=12569

Download that brochure, and it has a picture of a nice spangly new one.

Dan

Funnily enough all of the above bikes, Trek 830 Antelope, Marin Palisades, Kona Fire Mountain were all on my hit list too. But, taking MBUK's advice on buy the best frame and upgrade I bought a Shogun Trail Breaker II as it had the lightest frame and was made from 531 equivelent tubing.

Mine was pinched. Nice too see someone who still has there first bike. Welcome, and good luck on the build! :cool:

Back