Pace RC200 RC300 - broken.....

rory breaker

Retro Guru
More as a 'public service notice' - this is where to look when buying a RC200 / RC300 frame - I've now got two broken ones :(

Here are pictures of both, both broken in the same place- on the join between rh chainstay and BB - my afair with the square tubes is over :(

I'm 72kg and try to ride 'light'... keep an eye out folks.

As a result I have a heap of Pace hardware to selll - see For Sale forum :-(

Attachments

• Cimg3971.jpg
    Cimg3971.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 3,000
  • Cimg3972.jpg
    Cimg3972.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,000
  • Cimg3973.jpg
    Cimg3973.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3,000
  • Cimg3974.jpg
    Cimg3974.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 3,000
Sad News

I'm afraid it's pictures like these that reinforce my decision to only buy steel retro frames (two exceptions being a metal matrix M2 and an NOS Ally jobby).

Couldn't cope with the sense of inevitable 'loss'!

Mr K

Ouch.. :cry:

Sorry to see this mate.. What's your next frame?

200/300 cracks

All Ally rigid frames will do this in time/miles this was the thinking behind Raleighs MT frames, utilising steel lugs, as this is where the breaks occur at the welds, while still retaining the weight benefits of Alloy/MM/Ti. 853 still has to remain the prefered choice for mtbs, as it is stronger at the weld and no heavier than alloy .

Steel is an alloy. When you say Alloy you mean Aluminium.

Titanium and Steel have very long fatigue lifes and can normally only be killed by rot or one heck of a bash. Aluminium has a finite life. The M-Trax and Dynatech frames were steel or Titanium with one or two exotic exceptions so steel lugs wouldn't offer any additional life for these materials.

The reason for bonding these frames was that some materials become weakened by the heating involved in brazing and so have to be stronger near the joins. If there's no brazing there's no weakening and so a thinner gauge can be used nearer the ends of the tubes.

In terms of these Pace frames - they look fixable. It'll be ugly, but it can be repaired.

Dyna Tech

terryhfs":2u78f9ux said:
Steel is an alloy. When you say Alloy you mean Aluminium.

Titanium and Steel have very long fatigue lifes and can normally only be killed by rot or one heck of a bash. Aluminium has a finite life. The M-Trax and Dynatech frames were steel or Titanium with one or two exotic exceptions so steel lugs wouldn't offer any additional life for these materials.

I have had several Aluminium tubed Dynatech frames and have one for sale at the moment. They did produce a lot of Aluminium versions, not just Steel and Ti.

Re: Sad News

Bummer about the frames :( I hate it when bikes die.

mrkawasaki":1tk6vure said:
I'm afraid it's pictures like these that reinforce my decision to only buy steel retro frames (two exceptions being a metal matrix M2 and an NOS Ally jobby).

Couldn't cope with the sense of inevitable 'loss'!

Mr K

You can't write off all aluminium frames on the basis of a couple of manufacturers who didn't get it right. There are plenty of broken steel frames aswell but people don't put up pics of these and say "I'm afraid it's pictures like these that reinforce my decision to only buy aluminium/titanium/carbon (delete as applicable) retro frames".

There are lots of great aluminium frames out there, why deny yourself the pleasure of owning one? :)

Back