Over the bars...is this the worst crash?

My worst one was on a fast downhill road out in Hong Kong. Stupidly just wearing shorts and a tee - no gloves.

Hit a patch of gravel on a corner doing about 45mph and front wheel just washed out. Went over the bars and sliding down the road on my hands, elbows, hip, knuckles - basically every boney bit.

Large trail of skin down the road ending in me crashing into the curb and being knocked out cold.

Quiet road so I lay there for god knows how long until someone came and scraped me up.

Then spent the next 2 months growing skin back onto various parts - and still getting bits of gravel popping out of my elbow 10 years later....

My last crash I was going down a nice wide track at speed, then my front wheel found a rut, tried bumping it but I kept hitting the side as the rut was getting deeper and deeper, but I thought it would end and it wasn't a problem, until I noticed ahead that the rut did a 90 degree turn, now start franticly trying to lift the front end out, but traveling too fast, tried breaking and realised I'd forgot to break after the big puddle I'd splashed into at the top, now breaks, well they didn't slow me before I hit the wall of the rut!

Did a superman off the bike with a half turn mid air, left my skin from my forearm, knee and shin up the hill and replaced it with grit and blood *Nice*

It hurt cycling home that day!

Worst crash (at the time) was when I was a kid and fell (on a steep slope at high speed) through the bars on a Raleigh chopper, scraped my way over a brick wall with a very abrasive concrete bit on the top, and into the nearest rosebush. I think the only part of me that didn't get to have a plaster on it was my arse....

Worst crash injury-wise involved a car, a roundabout, and being cut-up. The concussion lasted about 3 weeks. The compensation bought me a new bike..............!!!

My LAST crash involved a patch of black ice, a fixed-wheel road bike and a star jump and I emerged unscathed.

QE forest has been my downfall.... hit a tree going through some single track, left a scar on the tree for years. Broke my wrist bashing the wheel on the ground to remove the taco shape so that I could finish the descent.:oops:
Decade later backwheel washed out at VERY low speed,went over sideways.... broke little finger, will never be straight again!

Prob my most comical crash (I've had a few!) was when me and a few mates went for a ride along some country lanes. We came to a sharp right-hand bend on a slightly downhill road. I was behind one of my mates and was gaining on him fast. He took the inside line so I was all set to pass him on the outside - until he decided to drift wide, leaving me no option but to go straight on. With too much speed and braking heavily, I rode straight into a ditch, and, realising I was going to hit a tree, prepared for the worst, still braking heavily. In slow motion, my front wheel hit the tree only with enough force for me to be lifted out of the saddle, lay the lamest headbutt you have ever seen on the treetrunk and rebound gently back into the saddle. :oops: :LOL:

was your mate an ex-bmx racer :D classic race move.

I know a guy who was descending a fire road in grizedale forest, came round a corner to see one of those timber bar gates across the road (just one beam about waist height), with no chance to stop he guessed if he hung off the back of his saddle he would fit under it. He guessed wrong and broke his back, and also broke the timber beam.

Latest posts

Back