King Kahuna - Update - 8th December

Hybrid SID!

Been playing around with the SID's today.

I've made a hybrid fork from an '03 SID Race and '07 SID World Cup; taking the carbon steerer and crown / leg assembly and 'mating' it :shock: with the 'race' lowers and Pure-delite damping rather than the Motion Control damping in the WC's.

Result is a 1200g fork, which isn't bad ;) Total weight (with Conti Speed Kings) has now dropped from 18.6lb to 18.33lb :)

I've also fitted a Middleburn Duo instead of the RF Turbine triple chainset and then swapped the Dura-ace (12-27) cassette for an XTR M953 (12-34) one.

The Duo works much better with the Pauls/Dura-ace Thumbies as it was a bit awkward moving the amount of cable needed on the triple.

00KKHybridWC1.jpg

00KKHybridWC2.jpg

00KKHybridWC.jpg

Nice one :cool: The silver lowers look better too.

You could save a bit more rotational weight with 2.2 mountin king's supersonic or 2.1 speed king supersonics. Schwable Racing Ralphs are another option.

What are you doing for tubes? Going 'Ghetto Tubeless' could save you a few more grams and you get no flats which is an added bonus!

A little up-date

Swapped out the orange s'post clamp and headset and fitted the original black Kona one and a Chris King. Also added a set of Salsa Rasta Ti skewers which go nicely with the green/gold/red of the Kona logos :) ....

00KKKingSalsa009.jpg

00KKKingSalsa005.jpg

00KKKingSalsa006.jpg

00KKKingSalsa020a.jpg

00KKKingSalsa013.jpg

00KKKingSalsa008.jpg

00KKKingSalsa007.jpg

00KKKingSalsa017.jpg

00KKKingSalsa015.jpg

Spec as she now stands :) ...

Spec:

Frame:......... 18" 2000 Kona King Kahuna...1657g

Fork:........... '08 SID Race Dual Air 80mm 450mm A-C with SID World Cup Uppers...1287g

Headset:.......Chris King NoThreadset...104g
Stem:...........Syntace F99....99g with Ti bolts
Handlebar:....USE Atom...132g
Grips:...........Extralite...32g
Barends:NA

Brakes:........Extralite...94g front + 93g rear inc. pads etc
Pads:...........Extralite
Cables:........Gore Ride-on...76g
Levers:........Extralite...62g

Shifters:......Pauls Thumbies with Dura-ace levers...139g
F' Mech:......XTR M952...112g
R' Mech:......Dura-ace short cage with KCNC jockeys...182g
Cables:.......XTR...58g
Cassette:....XTR M953 9spd 12-34...248g
Chain:........KMC 9SL...230g
Cranks:......Middleburn Duo...521g
Bolts:..........Race Face Isis...28g
Rings:.........Middleburn 42, 29...inc.
Bolts:..........inc.
Bottom Bracket:..American Classic Isis...153g
Pedals:.......Crank Bros Eggbeater 4Ti...167g

Hub Skewers:..Salsa Rasta Ti ...82g
Rims:.............Stans 355
Hubs:.............Tune Mig/Mag....Wheels:589g Front + 712 Rear
Nipples:..........Alloy
Spokes:..........Sapim Blade
Tyres:............2.4 Mnt King S'sonic or 2.3 Speed King S'sonic...922g
Tubes:............Bontrager SL...248g

Saddle:...........Sella Italia SLR...145g
Seatpost:........USE Alien carbon...147g+21g (shim)
Seatpost Binder:..Kona...19g
Bottle Cage:.....King Titanium with orange alloy bolts...29g

Weight: Approx: 18.33 lb with Conti Speed Kings :)

Comments welcome as ever ;)

Cheers

The silver forks look much better as previous post ;) But 18.33 pounds is obscene :shock: make mine look like a lump of lead :cry: How much do the forks weigh now :?: just wondered ;) Thanks.

marin man":ahvrc17h said:
The silver forks look much better as previous post ;) But 18.33 pounds is obscene :shock: make mine look like a lump of lead :cry: How much do the forks weigh now :?: just wondered ;) Thanks.

It is quite light :D and the tyres are 2.4's :shock: Could shave quite a bit more there, but I wanted big volume :) Could go tubeless as well on these rims ;)

The forks are now 1200g :)

Most of the weights are on page 2. I am of course assuming my digi scales are reasonably accurate, which I think they are as I weighed kitchen weights to check ;)

Cheers

wadsy":3n3n1vt2 said:
The forks are now 1200g :) Cheers

That is light :shock: but my carbon mars cl are only 1190 grams with trimmed steerer and lockout knob removed and with plastic valve cover (the manitou one weighed 14 grams :shock:) I think that the other pound is in my wheels I will go tubeless on sunday as my rims are 819 tubeless,This will save me about 300 grams :D

I think that I like yours better though :oops: :cry:

Back