The Los Angeles Olympics in 1984.

Steve Kish

Senior Retro Guru
In 1984, the Olympic 100K Team Time Trial in Los Angeles was won by Italy and the riders used something new. They each had a waistband that was linked to their stems by a flexible wire and AFAICR, the claim was that this helped them use slightly larger gears more efficiently.

Anyone remember anything about this? FWIW, I don't believe that there was a flood of these being sold in UK shops after then.

Interesting - as I've always felt (but had no proof whatsoever) that if the saddle had something at the back to push against I would be able to pedal harder. Same effect I guess.

red_riviera":2112xwiv said:
I remember that... it was banned by the UCI in pretty short order, IIRC.

Yes. Other than pedals, rider cannot be attached to the bike by any means. First thing that comes to mind for me when one mentions the 84 Olympics is the US team and their blood doping controversy.

orange71":1ae5jo3i said:
Interesting - as I've always felt (but had no proof whatsoever) that if the saddle had something at the back to push against I would be able to pedal harder. Same effect I guess.

A couple of years after that, either Charly Mottet or Jef Bernard* won the opening prologue of the Tour de France with a saddle that had a high back on it. As well as being something to push against, this was also determined to be an aerofoil. Once again, UCI put immediate blocks on it.

Perhaps this is why every recumbent that I see seems to have gigantic gears. :roll:

* Just found out that it was Thierry Marie. :cool:

As usual I invent something that's already been invented :roll: :LOL:

My last one was tri-bars...

I know I'm a bit late on this one but in the 60's there was an old guy, built like an ox, who rode club 10's etc. He was always trying out 'new ideas' and one night he turned up with a long belt that he fastened his waist to the top tube with. Reckoned it would help him push the huge gears he was noted for. Don't know if it worked or not but I hope he remembered to undo it before he tried to dismount!

Those belts connected to the stem by a wire and were assos ? The Saddle push device was by selle italia.

Attachments

• 9c_3.jpg
    9c_3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,712
Wasn't it Thierry Marie - rode for System U along with Fignon who had the faired saddle which was banned?

I remember Rick Kiddle, top UK triathlete at the time riding with one of those belts about 1988 at the national champs - even though he won, everyone was a bit sceptical.

Back