What groupsets to use for ye olde mountain bikes?

Daniel B

Retro Newbie
Guys,

planning to resurrect my 91 Palisades trail - 300LX groupset originally, but I expect rather past it now.

I know the shift levers on one side are bent at the very least.

What would be an equivalent, and will there be any issues with the modern items expecting big chunky tubes, and the ones on this being ickle ones?

What groupset would you use?

Cheers

Dan

Hi there, This is the best time for sickos like us!

Go play with components and personalise your ride.
Sticking with the original groupo may be a little hard to complete and dare i say a little dull.

Welcome. Cheers, Al

Hi Al,

and thanks for the welcome :D

I guess it's just a mix and effort, and see what fits the best.

I've mailed Gil re decals, but have yet to hear from him - only mailed him yesterday though!

Would be interested to hear what other people have done with bikes of similar ages - it would be nice to get that 'good as new' feeling I had when I picked it up in August of 91!

Cheers

Dan

No harm in trying to find an exage groupset if you wanted to keep it original, would be a hard task finding the stuff - but you will probably find yourself the only one looking for it too.

You may as well try upgrading parts to Deore DX or XT as they will probably look a little nicer and fit in more when you upgrade your frame (Oh yes you will when you really get the bug) and they will probably last a lot longer as well.

92 lx was a solid groupset, inkeeping & should be easy enough to source parts without the often higher cost of early XT & XTR.

scant":2q0ck9zy said:
92 lx was a solid groupset, inkeeping & should be easy enough to source parts without the often higher cost of early XT & XTR.

Hiya,

where would be the best place to find such second hand parts do you think?

On here/ebay etc?

Dan

Hiya,

On here/ebay etc?

On here 8.30am-5.30pm you may get a bargain but you have to be here all the time - like the majority of us,
ebay from 6.00pm-8.30am but you have to be on retrobike too in another window :D .

Yes , you have to be everywhere at once

:idea: Oh, and a third window for singletrackworld classifieds.

Daniel B":59z7nb2m said:
scant":59z7nb2m said:

Hiya,

On here/ebay etc?

Dan

I'd look for complete bikes going cheap & rob the parts. local paper, that kinda thing.

Giant coldrock on ebay at the moment if you went down that route , got 400LX parts and starting at £4.99 :!:

Hi Daniel, if you want to hop up to Deore xt i have wheels, shifters,
mechs, chainset. pm me if interested.

Cheers, Al

Back