Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

Looking forward to seeing this completed too. Still would like to see some amber wall tyres on there tbh.

Nope, defo no skinwalls sorry :LOL: Never liked them BITD and even blacked them out with marker :LOL:

Well my friend came up trumps with the loan of the tools again :cool: so the crown race seat was faced, the powder coating cut off really nicely leaving a perfect edge, no chips etc :

DSC05214.jpg

I checked the sizes of the race and seat - both were well within spec (not that there was a lot I could do about it if they weren’t :LOL:) so the M900 crown race was fitted :

DSC05223.jpg

DSC05224.jpg

Why I had the camera out and the light was still good, this is the area that had the largest repair :

DSC05231.jpg

And the dropouts I waited so long for :LOL: :

DSC05243.jpg

DSC05244.jpg

Quick picture of the tools I used incase anyone was wondering what they look like :

DSC05253.jpg

I managed to give the forks a quick polish before bed and as I was up early this morning (through no choice of my own :LOL:), I now have them fitted along with a single cantilever, it was so so tempting to be late for work … :LOL: As expected and as per the last time it was fitted, the XTR unit with loose balls is silky smooth :cool:. I cut this steerer about 2mm longer than the original so it’s a better length now (to suit the ‘thick’ headlock) and its left me enough room to pinch one of the stainless shim washers off the ProFlex to stop the cup and headlock eating into each other. As the replacement forks are identical to the knackered ones (even manufactured the same year) they share the same design cantilever bosses and as such the recessed washers I made have fitted well without the need for adjustment / replacement

Sadly (for the bike build :-() I am off the Lemans ‘classic’ soon :cool: so with only one spare day before I go I doubt its going to get finished until mid July :oops:

As people normally give a heads up to shops / suppliers that have done them a good service I thought I should mention Windridge Coatings (again :LOL:) and post up a scanned copy of a flyer they put in with the forks for me :

WindridgeCoatings.jpg

Now that I have ended up doing all the fork mods / repairs myself (annoyingly due to errors by other people within the bike trade :? ), Windridge is the only company that has been involved with any work on the rebuild other than myself :cool: I reckon my standards are pretty high and the stuff they have done for me is top class, seems very tough, was completed when they said and in my eyes, a good price for the work / quality involved :cool:

Just to quote - I am not involved with Windridge in any way :LOL: they are not even local to me and I have to courier my stuff to them :-(

WD :D

:LOL: Going as fast as I can now dude :LOL:

6:00am this morning, fitting forks, naked, in the second bedroom :shock: not the best mental picture eh ? :LOL:

I even protected the carpet so I didnt drop any greasy balls on it ... :LOL:

WD Pro":1fums6ez said:

6:00am this morning, fitting forks, n*ked, in the second bedroom :shock: not the best mental picture eh ? :LOL:

Tell me more :LOL:

Dr.Robotnik":1a351bpy said:
WD Pro":1a351bpy said:

6:00am this morning, fitting forks, n*ked, in the second bedroom :shock: not the best mental picture eh ? :LOL:

Tell me more :LOL:

He's a smooth talker, that one... :LOL:

CTK":20bxovr7 said:
Drum roll....

Back from Lemans now … ;-)

RD, pads, cables, controls, grips, bar ends shark fin and a few stickers just left now :cool:

Not very much left to do but not very much spare time :LOL: trying to get a bit done each night. The flexstem has been apart three times ! (now finally OK) ;-) it would appear due to tolerances that they were assembled by selective assembly – either that or some were turned out rock solid and others with a bucket load of play … :LOL:

Mark65":1kpyk0eo said:
You do know you will never be able to ride this don’t you, it’s a wall hanging piece of art :D

Mark

Defo getting used - It’s my summer (dry roads ;) :oops: :LOL: ) commuter / get fitter / belly reducer, the gf would never let me hang it on the wall :LOL:

Back