Help identifying a Raleigh SB track frame (SB5778)

Old Ned":z37ssrff said:
Dave's the one who'll know if anyone does!

Keep us informed - please ;)

Will do - he said they were Cinelli fork crowns - Cinelli SCA maybe? Can't remember exactly.

Hi Gareth,

Yeah I got in touch with them but they had no recollection. I later found out that it was around 1994 when Vernon Barker worked on it... that really is testing the old memory box! Thanks though.

If it is an 83 track frame, then I want to find out what the typical spec would have been. Where do I begin?

Wayne

Finding out the spec would be next to impossible simply because I'm told a lot of those frames were sold as frame only. In which case there's no way to know how the bike was originally built up.

If I were you I'd build it up with quality early eighties components. Of course the nice thing about track parts is that many of them don't really date to a particular period so it's fairly easy to build up a bike around a frame that will look "right".

I finally got the frame last night.

The forks are the original ones, stamped with the frame number. I also found the remainder of the previous paintwork inside the head tube and on the fork steerer, it looks like it was previously red. So, chances are it was team raleigh colours. That's what I'm going with anyway.

The only thing I'm left pondering over is if there was any chrome on the frame originally. Both front & rear dropouts are chromed and you can see where part of the chainstay was chromed about 1/4 of the way up under the blue paint. It may have been chromed when it was repainted, or maybe it had chrome on the stays and/or the forks on like this:

http://radpropaganda.org/wp-content/upl ... rame83.jpg

Anyway.... need to find a good re-sprayer. I'm thinking Bob Jackson at the moment, gonna go do some research.

GarethPJ":3n0r5dvo said:
If I were you I'd build it up with quality early eighties components. Of course the nice thing about track parts is that many of them don't really date to a particular period so it's fairly easy to build up a bike around a frame that will look "right".

Thanks man. I've managed to get myself some early 80s Campag bits for my build.

I know Team Raleigh were Raleigh/Campagnolo at that time, but does anyone know what stem & bars the team would use? I'm thinking Cinelli as I've seen another build of similar era with Cinelli, and Campag/Cinelli feels right. Just wondered if anyone knew any different?

Pretty sure they used Cinelli I've seen pictures of Jan Raas with a Cinelli 1A stem.
I used to like the fact that you buy most things like Bars and stems the same as a pro would have used. I suppose you still can, but I mean bars were £20 or something like that.
And Wheels....don't get me started

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread.

Back