Vitus carbon 9 bonding issue

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
What's your opinions on this guys? Coming apart or OK? Can it be repaired if it is coming apart?

SNC13793.JPG

SNC13795.JPG

That looks like it may be separating... Can you get a pin or something fine in that gap to check if its a space or just 'how it looks'

IIRC these were just bonded, wheras alans were pushed in to the lugs and had some pinning???

I don't know for sure but I do know that the joints on my 992 have no gap so I would imagine the carbon 9 shouldn't have them either.. Let someone sit and bounce on the bike (stationary) while you watch the joints, if the joints move at all they've come loose :cry: Repairs I dunno but I wouldn't ride the frame if the joints are screwed. :cry:

Does it creak at all when you're riding it?

I don't wanna be the bearer of bad news but that looks kinda terminal to me - hope I'm wrong! :oops:

I have the FCK9 model. I should have to look up close how mine looks compared to yours, but what I see doesn't immediately look alarming to me. I would go with what others already suggested in previous posts.

Thanks all for the replies.

There are no rattles/squeaks/creaks at all, it's totally silent even under heavy pedal load or rough bumps. No movement that I can see when jumping on or flexing the frame. I can however put a pin in slightly into that gap, maybe 2mm.

Anyone know how long the sleeving is on these?

Easy_Rider":3taalk33 said:
Thanks all for the replies.

There are no rattles/squeaks/creaks at all, it's totally silent even under heavy pedal load or rough bumps. No movement that I can see when jumping on or flexing the frame. I can however put a pin in slightly into that gap, maybe 2mm.

Anyone know how long the sleeving is on these?

How far in can you get the pin???

fingers) IIRC these were just bonded said:
Alans were 'screwed' and glued into the lugs. There's a copy of a brochure somewhere on the site explaining the method of build.

I must admit this frame does look a bit dodgy. Weren't the carbon ones more prone to this than the all alloy ones?

fingers":14jb4km2 said:
How far in can you get the pin???

About 2mm just in that one area on the top tube, tapping the tubes suggests that the sleeving is about an inch long, not very scientific I know, maybe what can be seen there is just the very edge of the glue coming apart slightly? The glue must have a certain flex in it as these frames are known for their massive flex, especially at the BB.

Old Ned":14jb4km2 said:
I must admit this frame does look a bit dodgy. Weren't the carbon ones more prone to this than the all alloy ones?

I undertand that this Carbon frame is really a Carbon wrap of Aluminium tubes, am I right? If so then I wold imagine the Aluminium underneath would be much thinner than the 979?

You could fill it with epoxy resin and see how it goes...

If the pin only goes 2mm it doesnt sound like there's a crack all the way through. Can you flex the frame and advance said pin any further??

Back