Sun Worksop - info please

Dead Rats

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not sure what to do with the 1984 (according to the rear and only wheel) Sun Worksop 10 speed I just picked up off local Gumtree

I don't know anything about the manufacturer... so far all I've done is strip it down. Frame has nice double rear brake cable guides, horizontal drop-outs and nice headtube badge.

Off the parts that came with it I think I have original fork, headset, Maillard / Rigida rear wheel, Sugino crank (LH is an SR :x ), Ofmega quill pedals and centre pull brakes.

Any clues folks?

It's Sun of Worksop in Nottinghamshire. Made at the Carlton factory, it's a Raleigh badge engineered gas pipe job. Sun of Birmingham are the originals and a much better bike.

desmondo":1tgk4pb6 said:
It's Sun of Worksop in Nottinghamshire. Made at the Carlton factory, it's a Raleigh badge engineered gas pipe job. Sun of Birmingham are the originals and a much better bike.

they'd be the pre-'63 ones then (yes I'e been googling aware that I spelt Worksop wrong in OP!)?

One of the many previously good names that Raleigh Industries snapped up and then used for their low end products. Others were Triumph, Robin Hood, BSA for example. I think a guy named Peter Parkes was at one time involved in the original Sun brand that manufactured some very nice - and now quite desirable - models such as the 'Manxman'.

However, in the 60's Raleigh did run a professional team using the Sun brand name and a white, green and black colour scheme.

I think there are some examples on Classic Lightweights in the Readers' Bikes section? I have adverts in old late 50's 'Sporting Cyclist' magazines for them.

Average 10 speed "racer".

Still, probably not a bad bike, all told.

This thread makes no sense without pictures.

cant have this thread picless, a past tip find:

dsc01371_493.jpg

dsc01373_847.jpg

dsc01374_131.jpg

As I mentioned the subject in a previous post, here is a piccy of 2 riders in Sun team jerseys in 1970. I think they rode as 'Sun-Truwell-Huret' but what Truwell was I'm not sure. Possibly a range of tubing?

White and Green main colours with a Black and White chequer stripe up the middle. I rather liked it.

I think the 2 riders are Dave Mitchell and John Aslin in the Mackeson sponsored Isle of Wight 3-Day race Easter 1970. The bikes were Green and White also - but Dave's seems to be a different colour.

Attachments

• SunJerseys1970.jpg
    SunJerseys1970.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 3,745
Back