Hope hub bearings Part 2

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
I'm looking for new bearings for my ultra-light hub. In part 1 i was given some links which a great help. Now i measured the bearings -18mm X 10 X4 with a ruler. But the nearest i've been offered is 19x10x5 now are my measurements just out or am i correct? i contacted Hope but they gave me no 'hope' of finding the correct size. Any body Help

haven't read other thread...sorry if repeating...have you got any number written on the side of the old bearing like 6001? If you just ask a bearing person for them they know what you need. I did that for my Hope hub.

no numbers :evil: which is no help. i'll give 6001 a try
Thanks

Hi, I think orange71 was just using those numbers as an example? Usually there is a number on the bearing somewhere, if they are sealed check the plastic seals, they could be very small or a bit worn? The numbers on them will refer to the size - internal/external diameter, width and single or double sealed. I had to get some replacements for my Heckler and needed a magnifying glass to read them - 1614RS, I did google this number and found a site somewhere that explained what all the numbers meant, but it was a while ago?, or the numbers you need could be etched onto the larger outer diameter?

I'm surprised, and not very impressed, that Hope were not helpful, if anyone should know they should they made the things!!?

I've got some of these hubs, I'll see if I can find any numbers and get back to you if I have any luck - alternatively take the old bearing to a shop with you and they can measure accurately?

Hermit":2lfghwxa said:
Hi,
I'm surprised, and not very impressed, that Hope were not helpful, if anyone should know they should they made the things!!?

I've got some of these hubs, I'll see if I can find any numbers and get back to you if I have any luck - alternatively take the old bearing to a shop with you and they can measure accurately?

I'll try hope again tomorrow. I've been ringing round but just nightmare. I went to one and an ant had more know how on bearings :evil: still keep on looking and ringing round

I cant find that size anywhere, only 19-10-5 like you said you had been offered. Are you sure you need 18-10-4? That would have very small bearings in it, probably only 2mm. Have you removed the race from the hub?

jonnyretro":1d5hvtc1 said:
I cant find that size anywhere, only 19-10-5 like you said you had been offered. Are you sure you need 18-10-4? That would have very small bearings in it, probably only 2mm. Have you removed the race from the hub?
Then as they say 'those who dare Rodney' I'll risk it and order 19-10-5
Thanks for all your help :D

6001 was indeed the number on the bearings in my XC Hope hub, but it may be that not all Hope's are the same.

Well good news. Thanks to the nasty over bright lights in my office. I did find a number on the bearing - 68,00,ZZ bad news the cheep bearing place doesn't take card orders- cash/cheque. Oh well nearly there :)

Back