First time BMX

IDB1

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My eldest daughter (almost 12 y/o and about 4' tall) expressed interest in a BMX this evening..

If possible I'd like to get her something half decent . . any info on what to look for/at and what I should be expecting to pay..??

Cheers.. Ian.. :cool:

Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. New or second hand? Would she want an 18"?

Quite a few BMX companies do a good line of completes these days. Wethepeople completes are probably best, then there's Fit, Kink and a bunch of others. You get good spec for however much you pay and the bikes are much closer to a proper custom BMX in how they ride and look than an Halfords job or whatever.

Have a look on Alans. The only ones I'd avoid on there are the GTs and maybe the Mongooses.

Used.. cheap.. full size.. 'old school' cool... nothing too good because she'll probably not cherish it..

Don't really mind picking up ebay bargain bits and assembling it myself, as long as they're not old tat..

Never had a BMX so haven't a clue what's rot and what's not, if you get me.. :?

Second Beagles advice on the completes. TBH complete BMXs are so good now compared to the days of old it's probably not worth bothering trying to bodge something together. WTP & FIT do some great bikes now.

On the other hand if you can find an old S&M Dirtbike or Standard Trailboss with Peregrine Super pros and Profiles your onto a winner :D

Yeah, have a look on eBay, there's tons of bikes on there. If you find something you can always post it up on here and we'll tell you if it's worth the money. You have to be careful because there's a lot of people on eBay trying to sell rubbish for silly money.

Honestly, I'd go modern above old school, the bikes are so much better now. You can always stick some Skyways on it.

theyre better now, but by the looks of it IDB1 doesnt want anything too 'hardcore/proper', like a bmx you would take to the park
:? :?

He said he wanted something decent though. Whatever, just trying to offer some help/advice.

You are both (all?) right. . . she's never going to take it to the park and use it how god intended.. but I don't want some BSO piece of crap either.

She's got an Apollo and a Matterhorn (Professional, no less ;) ) for trashing if she feels so inclined...

beagle":1b4cggyw said:
Yeah, have a look on eBay, there's tons of bikes on there. If you find something you can always post it up on here and we'll tell you if it's worth the money. You have to be careful because there's a lot of people on eBay trying to sell rubbish for silly money.

Honestly, I'd go modern above old school, the bikes are so much better now. You can always stick some Skyways on it.

+1

And most new bikes are styled/coloured in a retro inspired way and probably wouldn't look half bad with skyways on!

Back