Over the bars...is this the worst crash?

This post makes for grim reading, but i cannot look away :shock: I have just recovered from a broken arm whilst out for a wee ride in the country.

Was sitting up streching my back when my Easton seatpost bolt sheared, all i remember was me falling backwards still in my spuds and landing very heavily on my right hand. The wrist was a kind of s bend shape- man did the morphine feel good at the hospital :D

Lesson learned always check your seatpost bolt. :idea:

Ouch...shearing a bolt? It must have been damaged before it went cos them things are strong...will check mine tomorrow. :roll: just in case...!

most painful crash ive ever experienced didnt happen to me, its another childhood memory one, my sister an I were messing around on the bikes she lost control (unable to stop for whatever reason) and rolled off down a small but steep hill into the middle of a field of nettles at least as tall as she was. No broken bones, no serious scars but to an 8 year old it was pain in its most extreme form.

Funniest crash ive seen was again in my younger years, messing in an old quarry with a friend, he goes to do one of the steep runs into a bowl, im stood opposite, see his wheel drop into a rut, him launch over the bars, land on his feet then proceed to run down the rest of the slope with his bike top over tailing behind him, It reminded me of the Indiana Jones scene with the boulder roiling after him.

My worst crashes always have something to do with my SPD's. Usually at traffic lights, more often than not with onlookers :(

bad injury

when a few of us convoy'ed up to penshurst a few years back,one of our gang ventured out,just pootling around in a seemingly harmless area.he came upon a small set of doubles,nothing at all major,but shorted it,going O.T.B. in the process.he was sat on the deck,we thought he was hurt bad,but had no idea of his injuries,he was wheezing pretty bad.it was then that i saw his little pinky finger,really badly broken,in a kind of 'z' shape,not nice.but it was only a second later,when the guys from the centre came over,it came to light that our mate had busted his back!!he had to be (gently) moved,and an ambulance called.he had to stay in the local hospital for quite a while.needless to say,after that,we didnt ride much that day.shame,cos the tracks looked amazing there.

the worst i heard , think it was on here

someone losing a testicle in one of those saddles with a slot in :shock:

When riding down a bridle way, down hill pretty quick, turned corner at bottom to find large bramble growing across path, it dragged across tops of my arms and face, cut right through the Septum on my nose, and have some pretty good scars on my bicep.

Dropped in to a bombhole, cleared one large root only for my front wheel to dig in to the next. Went over the bars and landed about 10 - 15ft further down the slope on my back. The force of the landing broke one of my ribs clean in two and sent a very sharp bone straight through my lung. The result of this was a very winded me unable to breath but coughing up blood; very scary few seconds were i wasn't sure if i could actually breath before lung number 2 kicked in. Lots more coughing and blood coming out of my mouth followed by a pleasent stay in Hospital.

Happy Days :)

never crashed offroad, when I was about 13/14 remember getting locked handlebars with a mate though as we rode side-be-side, he steered in to unlock the bars then we caught pedals and carerred into a parked car.

owner( :evil: ) wasn't pleased when he saw us trying to pull the bikes from under the car where they ended up stuck :oops:

Back