Oh bum. Have I been had? Peugeot content

djoptix

Senior Retro Guru
So I was keeping an eye out for a bargain retro road ride to enable me to go on the Herefordshire meet. My eye happened upon this and I Bought It Now...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290449657501&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

But! I didn't look very closely at it. And now I look more closely I see that the derailleur looks awful tight... and no cables are in evidence... it seems that I might have bought a bike that has been converted to singlespeed but, unbelievably, hasn't been listed as such! Incredible that anyone would sell a bike without writing "fixie SS conversion retro scene LFGSS bike polo" all over the listing.

So my question is... does anyone have a nice 7-speed 700c rear I could buy? And are those track hubs worth £30 if not?!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Lol, yes, I did see that bit, I am prepared to buy a tyre and fettle :LOL: And yes, it is my size if you were wondering!

I happened to order a Charge Spoon yesterday, I have some nice Bonty drops lying around, modernish Shimano levers, and my spare SPDs... so if I keep it it will go Neo Retro.

However, Googling suggests that the wheels aren't original, and that the Suntour hubs are rather nice. So if all else fails, I'll break it and put the wheels up on LFGSS. "Mavic Record" rims bring up these beauties on Google, so I think I might have fallen on my feet - they look lovely;

Follow this flickr link

Tubs??? This gets more and more interesting, if less and less what I was actually looking for :LOL:

Rob, how tall are you? :shock: that's massive dude!!

I reckon you've got at least your money's worth, I had starting points FAR worse than that.

Whilst those wheels are nice, they are very light rims make for track and TT use only and not really suitable for general road use, particularly as they're for use with tubs. I've got a pair of clincher wheels for 6/7 speed freewheel I'll swap with you - Mavic rims and Campagnolo hubs. PM me if interested.

+1 - no way is that a 23" frame with a headtube that long!

EDIT: it's 25" not 23", of course ...

Dead Rats":3vbwvhb4 said:
Rob, how tall are you? :shock: that's massive dude!!

I reckon you've got at least your money's worth, I had starting points FAR worse than that.

aye, unless you're 6'4"+ I'd flog the frameset and get a 23.5" ;)

Or have you hidden enormously long legs from me :oops:

My inside leg is 38" (I'm just under 6'3" and I found a 25" Raleigh too tall)

However, it might suit him :?

It's massive. I reckon I would be OK on it, but I might move it on. Details to follow later today, I think it's been the subject of an old skool weight weenie build!

Back