Finshed: 1992 Claud Butler Anteaus 653 (new stuff page 2)

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not been a massive task to get there but the Manitous were sourced from here (thanks archangel), FSA Headset is an upgrade but period correct (thanks to ibelieveinfixies) and suspensionforkparts.net supplied the replacement elastomers for the manitous.
It's not original spec but there are reasons for this, I had the Manitous fitted before delivery and I like them looks and performance wise and it would have cost me a fortune for the zocchi XC400's which were by all accounts a bit plop, so Manitous it is.
The saddle was originally a flite ti, but my wider sit bones don't get on with them and I want to ride it so a WTB it was.
The original headset was a cheapo (a bit odd on a £1000 bike really) and the FSA is better lighter.
The original pedals were also cheap wellgos and I've had the SPD's since new and they are period correct, however I think I will get some non-period outland flatties for actually riding. I don't get on with SPD's off road.
All in all I am pleased to have it back to near original spec and my even enter it for BOTM.
First outing could be next weekend at the IOW ride if the weather gets better.

Frame: Reynolds 653 Lugged - I believe handbuilt

Fork: Answer Manitou 2 (with new elastomers)

Headset: FSA Needle Bearing
Stem: Zoom
Handlebar: Tange Prestige
Grips: Foam and Cork
Barends: Tranz-X (I believe)

Brakes: Magura Hydrostop Mountain Full setup
Brake Pads: Magura

Shifters: XTII Thumbies
Front Derailleur: XT 730
Rear Derailleur: XT 730 Short Cage
Derailleur Cables: Clarks
Cassette: 12-28 XT HG
Chain: HG-90
Cranks: XT 730
Chainrings: 24-36-46 XT
Bottom Bracket: XT Cartridge
Pedals: SPD's (The Originals)

Hub Skewers: XT
Rims: Wolber AT18
Hubs: XT
Tyres: Wildslipper Lites

Saddle: WTB Rocket-V
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost Binder: Black Alloy

Weight: 28lbs

DSCF5949.jpg

DSCF5950.jpg

DSCF5951.jpg

DSCF5952.jpg

DSCF5953.jpg

DSCF5954.jpg

DSCF5955.jpg
[/img][/url]

Awesome..bet you're glad that it wasn't sold on! It's looking really nice in it's current build :cool:

I still haven't come across any other 653 Magnum frames out there either..looks like a rare tubeset as well as bike :)

Pleased with it overall and the Manitous do look the part, the elastomers seem quite stiff but the weather is cold at the moment so they should be softer during the summer when I will ride it most.

Carl.

Good job!

653 magnum is certainly a rare tubeset and i've never seen another claud like this one. Glad you decided to keep it and build it back up :cool:

Missed this first time round. What a beauty. Love it.

Those maguras work great dont they? Love the feel of the levers.

Some updates in the past year and majorly updated in the past week the SX Carbons have being added.

Frame: Reynolds 653 Lugged - I believe handbuilt

Fork: Manitou SX Carbon

Headset: FSA Orbit XLII
Stem: ITM Racer
Handlebar: Tange Prestige
Grips: Foam and Cork
Barends: Tranz-X (I believe)

Brakes: Magura Hydrostop Mountain Full setup
Brake Pads: Magura

Shifters: XTII Thumbies
Front Derailleur: XT 730
Rear Derailleur: XT 730 Short Cage
Derailleur Cables: Clarks
Cassette: 12-28 XT HG
Chain: HG-90
Cranks: XT 730
Chainrings: 24-36-46 XT
Bottom Bracket: XT Cartridge
Pedals: Outland Flatties

Hub Skewers: XT
Rims: Wolber AT18
Hubs: XT
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Saddle: WTB Rocket-V
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost Binder: Black Alloy

Weight: 28lbs

Not sure about the SX Carbons, they are a bit cosmetically challenged but work really well some new decals would work wonders if I can find them, I really can't decide about the colour match though and I may look for some silver Bomber Z3 lights.
This is my regular retro ride and has been out at least 20 times this year so it's important it rides well, the tyres, saddle, pedals and suspension setup my not be correct but I want it feeling nice and at the moment it does.

DSCF7557Large.jpg

DSCF7558Large.jpg

DSCF7559Large.jpg

Carl.

Back