Brakes - options

wired99

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Just wondering what my options might be regarding brakes. I have a couple of 70's and early 80's bikes that I have built with period correct groupsets. That's all well and good but being a 'big lad' I am finding the brakes somewhat negliable to say the least. I was wondering if there was any particular brakesets of that period (or maybe a little later) that might actually STOP me :roll:
Currently running single pivot Galli's on a Gazelle (i'd say a 5 out of 10 in the squeeky bum ratings) and Gran Sport (a 7 at best!)......

Any guidance here chaps as I am sure I ain't the only non-whippet framed rider here :LOL:

not sure how they would look with the rest of your kit but Suntour did a nice campag looking brake that worked well.
Also, I had single pivot dura ace brakes on my race bike they did the business. I see them on ebay every so often.

We had early Dura-Ace on a tandem and they worked OK - in the dry! 90's-ish 105's seem to work well for me.

Thanks for the tips guys
I have old DA's on my Razesa and to be honest they seem the best of a bad bunch. I built a Raleigh for a friend with 105s and they are practicaly air brakes compared to mine :)
Maybe I will just lose a bit of weight and ease the problem that way :oops:

If you want a life of cheap thrills and white knuckles and like a bit of a gamble, try Dura-Ace AX or EX - they work badly on days with a 'T' in them; on other days, they don't work at all!!

AVOID!!!!! :shock:

terryhfs":vw32xa7o said:
New blocks and alloy rims can work wonders.

yes, agreed. if you also replace the cables and dismantle, clean and grease the calipers you'd be amazed at the difference. :D

Being a six and a half foot tall 18 stone heffalump I abandoned my Ebay-aquired Dura Ace single pivots after two hours! Trust me, in my opinion I'd drill out the frame for modern double pivot calipers and to hell with asthetics. It ain't worth the ( high ) risk of death. Did it with my 23 year old CANNONDALE ( see signature below ) and didn't look back.
If you're heart broken, remember there's always Campag.

IME people are too quick to blame single pivot calipers, they're not that much worse than dual pivots. It's not a difference between safe and lethal, at most they should make you think a little more about your braking.

On one of my bikes I have some early nineties single pivot Exage, on another there are late eighties Weinmann 570s. The Weinmanns were scaring me. As an experiment I swapped the front Weinmann onto the Exage equipped bike. Still not great but better. Interestingly the Exage didn't seem to perform as well when swapped onto the previously Weinmann equipped bike. Getting interested in the the variables I swapped the blocks between the two calipers. So I had the same blocks on rims on the two bikes as before. This time the Exage were just about as scary as the Weinmans had been. So a bit of fiddling showed that the block/rim combination was what made most of the difference. With the rim on the originally Weinmann equipped bike whatever brakes or blocks I used braking was less effective than with the other rim. Likewise the blocks fitted to the Weinmanns were not as effective as the blocks from the Exage. (Neither were OE blocks so don't read anything into that). However putting the poor rims with the poor blocks made for very little retardation at all.

So essentially we have three main variables. Firstly the caliper, secondly the rim and thirdly the blocks. The rim and the blocks made more difference than the caliper. Yes I know that a dual pivot caliper would have given even more stopping power, but the fact remains that the right rim and block combination gave perfectly acceptable, but not outstanding, braking performance with down market single pivot calipers.

So those who mentioned rims and blocks should bear in mind that they need to be the right rims and blocks.

Oh, and when it comes to calipers avoid anything built to be light, it won't brake as well as something built to be a good brake.

Back