Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

shutterman":1rplbq4e said:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Already posted in this thread, but just completed 2000miles since getting it, and err lost nearly 18kgs :)

Well done for the weight loss Shutterman, what does the bike handle like with those forks (they look a bit tall for it) :? .

Finally got the Mrs out on her new Sahara today.

Lovely ride on the Sustrans route from Selby to York and back :D

Good news is she loves the Saracen so its its a keeper and will be seeing some proper miles now after being practically unused since 1993.

Katie814.jpg

Katie815.jpg

therealkw15":qb6suqrx said:
NIce acquisition Coomber. What frame size is that so I can enviously think that it would fit someone 5'11" nicely- about 20"?

I also like the Ladeez Saracen peviously and the detailing of the through top tube.

Give that man a prize. Just got round to measuring it and 20" spot on.

Bump for more to come out of the woodwork... anyone?...

Chris - best ladies bike I have ever seen fella. Top stuff.

Here she is, Saracen no.4 in the stable rescued from the scrap heap.

I reckon it's a late 80's trekker.

It's got an odd mix of bits on it. Deore DX thumbies mountain LX front and rear mechs, Shimano headset & the crappest of the crap Exage cantis (plastic levers and cantis) Coda hubs (8 speed rear) on Rigida rims, M250 cranks.

I'm going to build it as a commuter while my regular one gets a new powdercoat then I'll treat it to some proper attention.

The Saracen stem (less expansion wedge) and crap Exage brakes are going, any one want them or they're heading for the bin.

The free hub was knackered though GT85 and swearing has sorted it. The biopace chainrings are in reasonable condition so will stay for now despite the crapness of them. The wheel bearings need a strip and re-grease, BB is the good old cup and cone type, I'm going to ditch the caged bearings and fit loose balls, the headset just needs a strip and re-grease too. Brakes will be replaced with DX levers and cantis from the man cave toy box. Stem's going to be a nice old golf club Nitto I have in there as well. Not sure about bars, risers or flat with sweep? (If it helps, I have some heavy old sttel flat bars though no risers in the toy box.)

The biggest crisis is that the non drive side M250 crank arm is knackered. Anyone have a spare in 170mm flavour?

Toodle pip!

Attachments

• tip find Saracen.jpg
    tip find Saracen.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,824
I'd guesstimate a trekker as well. Looks a nice find though, and sensible stuff your changing. Should be a quality commuter :D

It's only destined for commuting duties in the short term, I like the look of the frame and fork, the paint is seriously crap, I may treat it to a blast and powdercoat, a bit of polish and transform the thing in to a cruiser.

Yes the 1989/90 TuffTrax looks like a likely candidate, especially with some of the spec you've described:

Saracenpage5.jpg

My first MTB was an '89 Tufftrax as above. Mentioned before that I sold it to my brother in law when I got my Clockwork. Found out he chucked it in a skip a year or so ago. :cry:

Back