8/9spd XTR 950 hubs and cassettes compatibility

kona kid

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just bought a 950 xtr rear hub and was told it was just 8spd, which seemed to make sesne as I know the 952 levers/mechs are the 9spd oens - anyway tried a XT 760 9spd and an XTR M900 8spd cassettes on it and they both fit, but are loose (need a small spacer I guess)...

so am I right in thinking that:
1) I could run 8/9spd with this hub?
2) I need to get a 950 series cassette or use a spacer with anyother ype of cassette?
3) where do i get these spacers from (Jez didn't you have this problem?)

answers on a postcard (or, maybe more usefully, on this forum.. :LOL: )
ta

You only need a spacer if you want to run 6 or 7 speed cassettes with that hub. Like cce said all Shimano HG compatible 8 and 9 speed cassettes should run on it without problems. But you cannot run Campagnolo or vintage Suntour cassettes on it.

that's what I thought, that 8/9spd are all freely interchangable - but this hub seems to be 'big' and both the 8 and 9 spd cassettes are loose... so either I need a special 1mm thick spacer or a different cassette :? am still confused..

I had this exact same problem a short while ago..... Tried fitting my 8spd cass' and it ended up with the smallest sprockets going "sloppy" after a quick ride. I noticed there was a very thin ally spacer on there in the first place, I tried another really thin spacer but this time couldn't get the lockring to start.... Got really p***ed off in the end and fooked them off even though I'm a pretty competent mechanic and engineer by trade :x
To be honest, didn't rate the smoothness of them anyway (2nd hand though)

The shimano tech website is quite good for explaining which cassette needs a spacer, you can get the spacer and access to the technical site through any shimano service centre, Bonthrones, Evans etc

Back