road stem on a MTB

kona kid

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
standard road bars are 25.8/26.0 where as MTB bars are 25.4 - this seems to much of a difference to me to be able to safely use a mtb bar in a road stem - am i right or wrong?! :?

Don't think its that simple. As BMX use similar dia as mtb but you wouldn't put it on a mtb. But John Tomac had road bars for a while. If your not a heavy rider then it may work. :)

It is too much of a difference. I am a sturdy chap and have never liked flexy bars so on my rod bike I use Profile road bars which are avalible in 25.4 These are clamped in a Syncros road stem for 25.8 but do up fine.
They did not like either Cinelli or 3ttt stems.

Hope this helps. :D

Back in the day, when 0 rise stems for mountain bikes were not around, we used to put cinelli stems on our bikes. Hyperlites and X-lites held in place no worries.

The stems were dead light to, not sure they would be up to hucking and stuff but for xc they seemed fine. Iwas 3 stone lighter then though!!!

I run a control tech and trek icon 1" road stem on different mtbs with normal mtb handlebars with no problems. I'm fairly light - 11 stone or ?160lbs - and both are 1 bolt stems. This means as you tighten the bolt past where it would be with a road bar, the two halves of the clamp almost but not quite touch before the right torque is hit. Try it - if the two halvs touch then it deffo won't work, if they don't, it should*

Ian

*SSBonty takes no responsibility for chipped nails, dusty lycra or death resulting from loss of control if in fact this bodge doesn't work.

i'm looking at the modern Ritchey stems as I can get a cheap road one, these are in two halves and I don't think would be right - and I can't try before I buy (they're coming from switzerland ;) ) - someone here might be getting me a NOS Ritchey Forcelite, if not I thnik it'll be an OS stem/bar, not exactly retro but cheaper and allows me to have some nice carbon bars :cool:

You can get a nice little nitto shim that shims from 25.4mm to 26.0mm, works a treat (or if you're brave you can use coke can!). There's a UK company call Hubjub that does em and posted out real quick:

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/nitto/nitto.htm

Was using one of these on a road bike with flat bars for a while with no problems

And while your at it, look at this:

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/nitto/nittoct80zm.htm

nittoct80zm.jpg

Nitto chromo fillet brazed stem, mmmmmmmm

pete_mcc":2lcwb9i8 said:
You can get a nice little nitto shim that shims from 25.4mm to 26.0mm, works a treat (or if you're brave you can use coke can!). There's a UK company call Hubjub that does em and posted out real quick:

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/nitto/nitto.htm

Was using one of these on a road bike with flat bars for a while with no problems

Coke can has many applications in bike bodging - i mean engineering :LOL:

pete, nice stem but £70 and over 300g, too heavy (on the bike and the wallet!)

shim looks good, but the coke can solution (or any generic aluminium drink can ;) ) appeals to the self reliance in me!

Back