Mecacycle!

GordonB

Retro Guru
I've finished the Mecacycle Turbo project - well I say I've finished but I'm already thinking of changes as the handlebars don't look quite correct even though they are immensely comfortable to ride on. The cassette needs changing to a close ratio version but the one that's on is what the wheels came with (courtesy of Nes from Bangor!) Here's the spec;

Super Vitus 980 tubing Serie Extra Legere (waiting to hear about the SV frame stickers, the Mecacycle Turbo decals are originals and came with the frame when I bought it)
58cm centre of bb to top, 56cm centre to centre top tube
Powder coated in RAL1016 Sulphur Yellow by JT Finishing Solutions Ltd, Bury St Edmunds
Mainly Shimano 105 including chainset, rear mech, brake calipers, brake levers, shifters, hubs.
Crank Bros Quattro pedals
Merek integrated carbon bars and stem fitted to quill/ahead adapter
Suntour Cyclone 2 front mech heavily modifed and fitted with own manufacture adapter to fit bottle boss fitting on split seat tube
Mecacycle quill fixing seat post 26.6mm
Prologo Choice saddle
Mavic rims
Shimano bottom bracket
Shimano cassette on rear hub
Weight exactly 10 kilograms

It's not the lightest bike on the block but it is delightful to ride and totally different to my venerable Holdsworth Mistral. Naturally I'm dead chuffed with it!

Attachments

• Mecacycle.jpg
    Mecacycle.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 3,274
  • Mecacycle 1.jpg
    Mecacycle 1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 3,271
  • Mecacycle front mech.jpg
    Mecacycle front mech.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3,275
It feels very fast, much more responsive than my touring bike - no surprises there! I expected it to be twitchy bearing in mind the very short wheelbase but it isn't, it tracks beautifully and corners like a dream. I've only ridden about 30 miles on it (this was before it was powder coated) to check everything worked, especially the front mech, but even now I doubt this one will ever leave me, I've completely fallen for it and it's too unusual to part with!

Gordon

That is a really special bike, definitely a keeper! I really like how everything matches too, the black rims against the chrome fork/seat stays and the tan sidewalls on the tyres go really well with the frame colour! Would make a good B.O.T.M candidate once you've fitted the decals.

Nes

Back