Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

A conversation with Windridge confirmed that that the forks (and the piece of the ProFlex) were coated yesterday :cool: and with a bit of luck I might have them back by weekend :cool: :cool:

There’s a slight chance that although my friend isn’t working we could nip to the shop on Saturday morning to skim the crown race seat and fit the crown race :cool:

In the mean time (and whilst both wheels are off it again) I am taking the opportunity to swap the inner tubes out for Maxxis fly weights. I have ordered some but they haven’t arrived yet so I will probably end up pinching the ones off the ProFlex build (along with the picture :LOL:) :

DSC04385.jpg

They come with the matching rim strips so I might as well use those to, quite a weight saving over the standard tubes that are in there now :shock:

With regards weight – any guesses what its going to come out at ? Without going daft the only thing that’s probably an obvious weight saver would be the bottom bracket (I am not changing it though ;-) :LOL:

I am also waiting on some rubber (Mavic) and some generic ally rim hole Schrader / Presta hole converters coming, anybody used these ? any comments, good or bad on either ?

Hopefully not long to go now …

WD :D

Mavic hole convertors are fine to use, they are fitted as standard to a lot of the Mavic rims. I've never had a problem.

Oh and cheers for the torch picture.

WD Pro":s45wcpuq said:
I am also waiting on some rubber (Mavic) and some generic ally rim hole Schrader / Presta hole converters coming, anybody used these ? any comments, good or bad on either ?
I've used a rubber alloy rim schrader -> presta converter - not sure if it's a Mavic (could be, now you mention the brand) - and it's been in a while with no problems.

The rubber and ally valve hole adaptors turned up :

DSC05196.jpg

The Mavic grommets are neat but really more suited (and molded specifically) to fit a high profile rim and not the relatively flat profile of the 231.

I am not sure how I was supposed to fit the ally ones i.e. top hat on the inside or outside etc but I think they look neatest with the flange on the outside. As they are a universal design to fit deep section rims I had to chop them down a little to get a nice fit :

DSC05199.jpg

Anyone got any red plastic valve caps they would swap for orange ?

I am going to fit a KMC X8 chain. I have been looking around for a while for a X8-92 which is silver and black but have struggled to find one. In the meantime I will fit a X8-93 (silver and grey), I think this should look quite neat as the grey is actually very similar to the blasted Ti bits :

DSC05205.jpg

Word of warning to anyone internet shopping for an X8 chains (maybe KMC chains in general ?) Check you get what you pay for ! I have bought 2 X8-92 chains, both from searches / bike shops easily found via Google and neither have even been a X8 style chain !! If I didn’t have the catalogue or another X8 to compare to, I would never have known. Both chains were ‘lesser’ models, one was supplied loose in a bag and the other was in the wrong box, marked as a X8, complete with oily finger prints and broken seal etc :evil: The 93 version I got came sealed, with instructions, with sticker, with ‘missing’ link which is quite aptly named as I subsequently lost it and had to buy some more … :LOL:

WD :D

On weight, I'd guess you will be around 24lbs unless you go to some very trick running gear, but assuming you fit a UN72 or similar BB and a 94mm chainset.

My 1990 Palisades as a drop bar tourer is around 26.5lbs with Maguras, rack and guards but skinny tyres.

WD Pro":2cvcug4f said:
The rubber and ally valve hole adaptors turned up :

DSC05196.jpg

The Mavic grommets are neat but really more suited (and molded specifically) to fit a high profile rim and not the relatively flat profile of the 231.
The rubber ones look like the one I've used ('cept the one I've got was a pale-r grey colour, but looks identical, otherwise), and that was in a Mavic 230 rim.

hamster":okf9bog0 said:
On weight, I'd guess you will be around 24lbs unless you go to some very trick running gear, but assuming you fit a UN72 or similar BB and a 94mm chainset.

My 1990 Palisades as a drop bar tourer is around 26.5lbs with Maguras, rack and guards but skinny tyres.

:shock: I didn't think it could be that light, I was thinking about 26 ish :LOL:

All the spec is pretty much listed or pictured above, nice bits but not particulary (I don't think) light - picked more because I already had them, or I could associate with them from BITD. I think my wheels might be quite light though ? 32 hole 231 with db on 730 hubs. I stuck one on the crappy kitchen scales (the front as it wouldn't weigh the back :LOL:) and it was 780g.

I should run a book for when it's done :LOL: I have some digital hanging scales in the loft that will acurately weigh a full bike :)

WD :)

Latest posts

Back