Recollections of Quinn bikes

themightyw

Dirt Disciple
Hi all

I'm looking for an early model RJ Quinn frame / complete bike around size 56 or for any leads or information about the Quinn Brothers. Any info hugely, hugely appreciated. The only info I have so far is:

"Jack Quinn was the brother of Harry Quinn. Harry made wonderful frames and also trained Terry Dolan and Billy
Whitfield. On losing sight in one eye he sold out to Falcon Cycles (Ernie Clements) but later started building again in Tenby with son Peter. When Reg Harris's Macclesfield business closed Harry purchased his Campag frame jigs. One of his employees, Billy Whitfield, is said to have emigrated to the USA."

TMW

Rj Quinn

think you have may have got your wires crossed

RJ Quinn was a differant bike business to Harry Quinn

and both had differant address in Liverpool

You mean Bill Witcomb as the apprentice to Harry

it was Bill and harry who set up near Mold when harry sold out to the less than relaible Frank Clements who then sold it to falcon.

Thanks a lot for the information! Hugely helpful! So there were two Quinn families making bikes in Liverpool at the same time? I had assumed Harry and Jack Quinn's businesses were one and the same. The info I quoted above was from a Wikipedia entry about Harry Quinn.

I'm interested in Quinn bikes - I've got four Harry Quinn bikes, in various stages. I've tried to do a bit of research recently but there is a lot of hazy information. The first post quotes a page on a classic framebuilders page.

As I understand it, Harry Quinn's father started 'Coronet Cycles' in 1890, which Harry inherited sometime in the forties. RJ Quinns was a separate shop, and some sources (like that in the first post) suggest that R&J were Harrys brothers; who set up a rival business.

It was Harry that lost sight in one eye in the late 70s/80s, and sold the business to Clements, who unfortunately raped the brand by selling terrible frames on the back of Harrys legendary status. (When 753 was first introduced, the only builders good enough to use it with TI's permission were Gerald O'Donovan of Carlton/Raleigh and Harry Quinn).
Harry and his son, Peter, re-obtained the brand name Harry Quinn around 83, I think - and the business was moved to Wales. They carried on building until around 1992, when I believe some yank businessmen conned then out of their capital.

RJ Quinns old shop is still running in Edge Lane, Liverpool. The chap who ran it (I believe an apprentice of R&J) was killed recently while on a ride in the Wirral.

How fascinating! Thanks. I actually emailed Terry Dolan who was gracious enough to reply.

HI
I never knew Ronnie or Jack they had a shop in edge lane liverpool I worked
with Harry in walton road shop the lads who worked in the edge lane shop
bought it maybe you can contact them .
regards
Terry Dolan

I've emailed him back to ask if he knows whether they were related. I hugely appreciate any other info anyone finds.

Received a remarkably speedy reply from Terry

"Yes there was Harry Jimmy Matty Ronnie Jack and Betty involved in the Walton Rd shop but they fell out and opened separate premises while harry stayed in the Walton Road"

Nice to see the reply's from Terry Dolan, as i have no doubt he is a busy man.
I'm afraid i can't help you with your bike search, but there is normally 1 or 2 Quinn bikes on ebay each week.
On a personal note i am the proud owner of 2 bikes, built by BILL WHITCOMB, the most commonly mispelt frame maker in history. :) Both the bikes are very fine handling machine's, Mr Harry Quinn taught him well.
When you find your Quinn, make sure we can all have a look on here.
Mike.

Blightyinfurs......
If the worry of all the Quinn project's, becomes too much. I can always help out, by taking one off your hands..... :LOL: ......
Mike.

themightyw":28xom7tg said:
but they fell out and opened separate premises
as they say ... you can choose your friends, but not your family ...

on a serious note, this is evolving into one of those great cycling history threads. A guy I knew we in the late 80's - 90's had one of those first HQ 753 frames. By the time I got to know him, the frame looked scrappy - he raced it hard, it was his only bike, still had the original paintwork and he was a beefy first cat. Dont know if he still has it cos he emigrated, but at that time I read somewhere that 753 should never be chrome plated, but I remember his having chromed stays (cant remember the forks) and his seemed to defy the recommendations of the day.

I rode a Harry Quinn in the 60's for several seasons and did most of my best rides on it. Here's a shot of me in an early season 25 around March 65. This is on the East Lancs Road somewhere near Skelmersdale.

It was a dark Kingfishery blue with white lettering, all hand done by C&G Finishes in Liverpool who sprayed virtually all the area's builder's frames. Their signwriter was a magician who could write anything on a frame perfectly, even the owner's name in small characters on the top tube with a flourish in the strokes.

Attachments

• Mersey3up65.PaulSolo.jpg
    Mersey3up65.PaulSolo.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 8,651
Back