Kona TI frame (unsure about model?)

Panum

Retro Newbie
Hello guys,

I'm totally new here as you can see, and I do aswell have a passion for retro bikes. I recently bought this titanium frame on eBay, and the seller claimed it was a Kona... and I surely agreed with him, due to the design of the frame.

However, I've asked a few people now... and seem to really be able to figure out which model it is, and approximately what season it's from?

dsc014261.jpg

dsc014301.jpg

The frame is from TST/Sandvik in the US. Frame size is 18" with a 23" top tube. Headtube is 1 1/8".

So what is it? King Kahuna? Score? Hei Hei? (please give some arguments why)

The seller gave me the serial number, but it's in this form: 00<number> (fx. 006). I'm pretty sure that e-mailing Kona that number doesn't get me anywhere.

Hope you guys is able to help,

Thanks.

As you have already said it's a TST frame. TST (or TiSports if you like) made frames for lots of other companies including Kona, this frame is their own frame and sorta based on the King Kahuna but it is not a Kona, it's of course a TST. A Kona KK or Score would have gussets and wouldn't have curvy stays, the Hei Hei had round tubing. Also apparently they didn't come with disc mounts (apart from the Score) the customer had to request disc tabs or they were retro fitted.

Still a very nice frame.

Stevek's story seems to be the most sense making me to me :)

@xced: I've never seen DBR bikes before, so I googled it. It surely looks very similar. However, I doubt it's a DBR as they're not that curvy around the bottom back axis/rail.

--

Since it's not officially a Kona, I thought about making "my own Kona". As in recreating some stickers with a modified Kona model name... basically "creating" my own model.

Anybody have some idears as potential names? Obviously have to be in Hawaii :)

Thinking about:
Outsider - kanaka 'e, kanaka o waho (just insanely long tho :p)

Back