Help wanted indentifying MKM frame

Nick_vS

Retro Newbie
Hi - I bought my MKM frame back around 1980 from a cycle shop in Richmond. It was one of several they had in stock - I just picked it because it looked cool and was the right size for me.

I still have the bike (S/N 6799) and only recently realized that there was more than one frame style that MKM used. So I'm now trying for figure out which one I have. If I can work out how to do it, I'll try to post some photos, but the distinctive features of the frame are:

1-Reynolds 531 db tubing
2-Seat stays that have a long outside taper onto the lug under the saddle
3-The tops of the front fork tubes are smoothly tapered into steering tube (ie there is no obvious lug that they fit into)
4-I seem to remember being told that the frame was a 73 degree parallel, but I couldn't swear to that

The frame is blue, with the lugwork highlighted with black lines. The decals are also black, separate pieces for each letter of MKM.

So... if anyone can make a guess at what this frame is (or could advise what features differentiated the different MKM frame styles), I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Nick

I have these catalogue pages courtesy of another forum member (can't remember who, sorry!). They date from around 1980 which, going by the frame number on yours, is probably the right time.

I think that the customer selected the tubing, lugs, forks crown etc. and had the frame built as required. The shop possibly decided on a spec. for stock frames and sold them as such.

Somewhere in some magazines from the period I have some more MKM adverts which I will scan and post when (if!) I find them.

Post a photo of yours please!

Attachments

• MKMcat80.3.A.jpg
    MKMcat80.3.A.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,171
  • MKMcat80.2.A.jpg
    MKMcat80.2.A.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,171
  • MKMcat80.1.A.jpg
    MKMcat80.1.A.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,171
Hi Ned - Many thanks for posting the MKM info and apologies for the delay in responding. I had to take the pictures -see the following.

Am I correct in assuming that 'Dominator' was the generic name given to the 531dB based road bike frames?

Thanks again and best regards,

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_7804.jpg
    IMG_7804.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,134
  • IMG_7806.jpg
    IMG_7806.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,134
  • IMG_7805.jpg
    IMG_7805.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,133