The Great Big Mountain Mayhem 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just getting stuff together and waiting for the t-shirts to arrive. Will be over mid-late afternoon.

Food arrived safely for BBQ. On the left is the sasauges and burgers, on the right is the catering for the veggies.

Attachments

• 17062010041.jpg
    17062010041.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,765
Going to try and do a few updates on twitter (@retrobike) over the weekend too. So stay tuned and all that...

makster":2r38fkyd said:
topped it off by going straight over the bars on a very tame bit of single track :D

That's the Pioneer for you. :) I had two of those back in the day. They were characterised by their twitchy handling and threw me over the handlebars regularly - even when riding up hill lol.

I just assumed that it was all part of riding off road until I got my first 'proper' Californian designed frameset. Then I discovered that relaxed geometry = stability (and safety)

Actually, the second Pioneer that I sold on to a friend threw him over the handlebars and broke his arm while the bike itself disappeared into Bristol Docks never to be seen again!! :shock:

unclebuck":1jg5sbzr said:
makster":1jg5sbzr said:
topped it off by going straight over the bars on a very tame bit of single track :D

That's the Pioneer for you. :) I had two of those back in the day. They were characterised by their twitchy handling and threw me over the handlebars regularly - even when riding up hill lol.

I just assumed that it was all part of riding off road until I got my first 'proper' Californian designed frameset. Then I discovered that relaxed geometry = stability (and safety)

Actually, the second Pioneer that I sold on to a friend threw him over the handlebars and broke his arm while the bike itself disappeared into Bristol Docks never to be seen again!! :shock:

Hmm. Not really. My older Overbury's Pathfinder has slack angles and wide bars. Very stable. The trend in both UK and US (inc Californian) bikes around the late 80s /early 90s was for sharp handling bikes with the 'Norba' style geometry.

Anyhow that irrlevance aside is anybody actually there yet? Leaving soonish, just waiting for FedEx to deleiver the MM ts :roll:

My goods are sorted ;)

Gutted im not heading over today as off now to Tuesday!! Damn my mrs :LOL:

im bringing the bungalow john so can you save a big space for me and im bringing my wheel truing jig for the retro crew so friday il be truing any wheels that people want truing ;) :cool: :D

good, if i can wangle some hubs on the cheap you can build me wheels. its blistering hot here up north hope its like this at eastnor .

Car all packed ready for a quick get-away after work tomorrow. Bit of a squeeze to get 2 bikes plus camping gear into my car, but I got there! Left just enough space on the passenger seat for coolbag containing lager and a pack of sausages :D
Hoping to be finished work around 12 so may just make the ride at 4 :D

nobby the sheep":1fw6qllg said:
good, if i can wangle some hubs on the cheap you can build me wheels. its blistering hot here up north hope its like this at eastnor .

if you get rims hubs and the right lenght spokes il do it if you buy me some disc brakes pads from the superstar components guy if he's there ;) mate failing that what lenght do you need :twisted:

Spicy onion marmalade will be on the go here tomorrow a.m.in preparation for the BBQ - think I'll sport my swimming goggles to avoid tears .....oh and suppose I'd better prep my Orange - Ed told me I have to get round at least two laps on Saturday plus the social ride tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back