'98 Explosif rebuild project (aka scrapheap challenge!)

ipt2001

Retro Newbie
Hi there

Just become proud owner of what I'm reliably informed is a '98 Explosif. Thanks Ebay!

It's definitely been through the wars and I'm looking forward to restoring it to its former glory. Always wanted one, since the days I could 'only' afford a Fire Mountain back in the mid 90's (but ended up with a great deal on a Bontrager Privateer from Julie's Cycles in Leicester instead).

Anyway, I have a couple of questions and I'd be very grateful for any help, comments or suggestions from those more knowledgeable about such things:

* currently fitted with a pair of battered Bomber Z2's, I'm thinking of putting on some Project 2's instead. Just not sure what a to c length. The Bombers are around 435mm, but not sure how much sag they would have had originally? 440mm Project 2's would be perfect as they seem much easier to get hold of!
* the frame is in a very sorry state. I quite like the 'patina' of all the battle scars but there is some minor frame damage so I might see about getting it repaired and then get a respray at the same time. Bob Jackson in Leeds, are local but seem pricey. Any alternative suggestion? Also trying to source the decals - the sets on ebay don't match what's on the frame now, and I quite like the current colour scheme.

Well, thanks in advance for any comments.

Matt

This is a 98 Explosif.

It would originally have had blue Z2s. I wouldn't recommend Project 2s for this frame, but if you go that way you need black triple-butted 41cm a-c, which were sold from 1998 onwards. Most of the ones you will see for sale are plain-gauge though, so always check. [test is tb weigh c850g, pg weigh c1.05kg]

If you really do need a repair, Jackson would be fine, but be prepared for the new paint to be gorgeous but very easily chipped. Are you really sure you need a repair? The frame below had dozens and dozens of paint chips when I bought it but you wouldn't know it now (the marks you can see in the photo are just bits of mud).

Attachments

• 1998 Explosif 853 size 17 at Bow Hill.jpg
    1998 Explosif 853 size 17 at Bow Hill.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 2,201
'98 Explosif

Thanks very much to Anthony and ernie.

Just trying to post some pics but it does look like a '98 Explosif.

Appreciate the link on the decals - good to know there's an alternative to those listed on ebay.

I think I may take Anthony's advice and hold back on anything drastic - for now anyway. The Bomber's actually seem OK considering the state of everything else on the bike. Keeping it as original as poss sounds like a good plan. If I did end up going Project 2 though, I may need to research a bit more on fork lengths, as the shortest axle to crown length P2's I've seen (on ebay) are 420mm?

The frame is quite battered but may look better after a good clean (a job for the weekend), and I reckon most of the components can be sorted too...

From what I've seen so far though, main issues seem to be:

- hefty dent in the top tube near the seat tube junction; not sure how serious this is but will see how it rides (once I've got it running) before looking into repairs.
- removing rusted/seized parts. So far discovered the nice Kona O Beam seat post is jammed firm, but trying some gentle WD40 action for now.

Thanks again, appreciate the input so far!

Matt

Attachments

• P1060134.JPG
    P1060134.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 2,151
  • P1060127.JPG
    P1060127.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,151
  • P1060130.JPG
    P1060130.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,151
  • P1060160.JPG
    P1060160.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,151
WD40 will not do much I doubt mate. If you search on here you'll find loads of ways to remove a stuck seatpost or else google "Sheldon Brown stuck seatpost" - he has a lot of great ways to remove a seatpost which many have tried and work well.

Bombers are nukeproof. Can buy seals etc still so are cheap and easy to service. I'd stick with them until the bike is built up then decide if you want to go to project 2s.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures once you have some.

Thanks Coomber.

Have some photos up now and will try to keep posting as I go along.

I'll check out Sheldon Brown for the seat post etc issues.

Cheers again

If the dent is the only damage that you would want Jacksons to repair for you, I think you could the job just as well yourself. I'm assuming that it's one of these dents that looks unsightly but actually hasn't weakened the tube, so it would be ok to just repair it cosmetically and carry on. You ought to get advice from a good bike shop first though.

It looks as though the paint has lifted there and allowed surface rust to spread underneath. You need to cut that off with a blade until you're left with sound paint. You then need a fine file and go over that and all the other brown bits, removing as much brown as you can and any unsound paint. You then need to treat all brown or bare metal with Kurust to stabilise it. You could probably fill the dent with auto filler (subject to advice as above). Then complete the job with as close a match of gloss blue as you can find. Halfords car touch-up paint is a bit pricey, but Humbrol modelling paint is at least as good and 1.50 a pot. And maybe as a finishing touch, the top tube repair would be a good spot to site a Retrobike sticker.

If you don't like the outcome then get it resprayed, but I think it's worth trying this option first.

If the worst comes to the worst and you're advised to replace the top tube, then Jacksons could do it for you but it would be expensive. It doesn't look that bad from the photo though.

What about Woodrup Cycles? Don't know that they'd be cheaper than Jacksons but might be worth checking.

Thanks all for further comments etc.

Just spent the afternoon stripping her down, unfortunately the news hasn't got any better.

I'll take the frame into Jackson's or Woodrup's (thanks for the reminder on that) next weekend and see what they think about the dents and the stuck seatpost before I go any further. Tried all the tips for the seatpost I've seen online but it looks like it may have been hit hard at some point and bent/jammed in the frame, maybe jumped or crashed?

On closer inspection most of the components are looking like they need replacing, hence making sure the frame's ok before doing much else.

Found a good source for old Marzocchi manuals online which I'll put up in a seperate post.

Back