What GT Is This?

Mark S

Dirt Disciple
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have really appreciated the information available and shared on this board. Can someone assist with identifying this bike please? It looks like an LTS, but I'm not an expert on these matters.

Regards, Mark.

Attachments

• Unknown GT.jpg
    Unknown GT.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,600
I'm no GT expert either, but looks like the carbon STS, maybe even the DH version. andy @ yetifans dad had 1 that he lovely cleaned with spray on bike polish.. unfortunately that product softened the carbon tubes & it fell apart :(

definitely an STS, but i'd lean more towards it being one of the DS dualsport ones

Thanks for the prompt responses so far. I have been reading these forums for a while now, and the retro bikes that really inspire me are the GTs with the curvy seat post (as this one is).

What are my issues with trying to rebuild this? I have gathered from reading posts that the bushings on the old GTs are scarce, but I think I have seen them on eBay (US).

Also, the rear shock seems to be an issue. Is there anything else I should be aware of before I plunge in?

Regards, Mark.

Now that I know it is an STS, I worked through the airfreetires sites and came up with this (in black carbon): GT STS-1000 DS, 1998. Sound right?

Thanks, Mark.

That sounds right. I do no that on the STS frames, the all black head tube section indicates that it is dual-crown ready vs those with the alloy lugged head tube assemblies which were not properly reinforced to accept dual-crown forks.

It´s definetly a ´98 STS -DS model. Both the ´97(have one) and ´98 DH models had the alloy head tube, and only the ´98 DS models had a complete termoplastic head tube and that curved seat tube.

Nice frame you got there.

Hi there,
I have 2 GT LTS 1000 DS's which are the all aluminium versions of the same design .

The first one i have owned since new in 1997 which has been recently superceded with a new old stock GT team frame which never got used and sat on a shelf for 9 years. There is a thead on here so i wont bore u with the details .

If you are looking for spares theres a company that makes a complete bearing set to replace all the stock bushings which makes such a difference to the ride, there online and called betd, a quick google will root them out.

If you need further help give me a shout.

also i have all the shop repair manuals for every full suspension GT between 1997 & 2000 when they moved onto the i-drive.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I don't actually have the frame in my possesion just yet. Once I do, I have no doubt I'll be back here looking for assistance. These old GTs have a pretty dedicated following - I'm looking to be part of it.

Regards, Mark.

Back