1998 Ibis Spanky New Pictures, new thoughts :-(

If the tops feel fine, but the drops are too long and low, try turning the bars back a bit... so you're effectively rotating the drops back and up to you.

fingers":3bengl4i said:
If the tops feel fine, but the drops are too long and low, try turning the bars back a bit... so you're effectively rotating the drops back and up to you.

Thanks Fingers...noticed that the other day and did turn the bars back...better, but not right still.

Thanks everyone ^ for your advice etc. I'm doing a lot of chin rubbing.

Doubtless I could probably 'make-it-fit' by spending more money on stems/bars/pin etc.
But I'm a bit concerned that I will end up with a bike that fits right, but doesn't look right.
Mmmm...I'm going to walk away from it a bit and come back later.
Cheers
Carl

For that size frame, I would suggest a shorter stem, roll your bars back, or as said here, get some drops with less 'reach'.

It still look ace with a shorter stem, Im sure.

Okay...you are all right of course....need to see if I can make this feel right before throwing in the white towel.

So...start with a shorter stem? Currently it has 110mm (I think). What should I go for? Can I get zero rise rather than -7 or whatever it is.

Some bars have been recommended (thanks CTK)...any others I should consider?

Is there a measurement model somewhere...measure you torso arms etc to see what should fit?

Thanks again chaps...complete newbie at road bikes as you can tell :oops:

Ribble have some Pro PLT short reach bars in 44cm width for under £20.

Changing the post would be the easiest fix, moving you an inch or so forward without having to re tape the bars etc. The layback post you have looks 'classy' but a Syncros straight up post with red Flite might look 'cool' and be a nod to Ibis MTB backround or something...

What height are you H? In all honesty making a road bike fit can be futile, if its too big I'd sell the frame and get summat else. If the seat tube is 55.5 cm and the toptube is roughly the same IMO the bike is made for someone 5'10+.

kaiser":7njpwngl said:
What height are you H? In all honesty making a road bike fit can be futile, if its too big I'd sell the frame and get summat else. If the seat tube is 55.5 cm and the toptube is roughly the same IMO the bike is made for someone 5'10+.

:( That's what I have been thinking, but still trying to make it fit.
I'm 5'9 and a bit with stumps for legs and a fairly long upper body.
The top-tube on this is 56.5cm and centre to top seat-tube 55.5cm.

Its too big :cry:

legrandefromage":11aqnsz2 said:
sorry but... are the Mavic CXP wheels in the first pic going spare? :oops:

Probably LGF...1996 Campag Record hubs...front spins perfectly...the rear I have had rebuilt with new cones and bearings...not perfect still...8/10? Suspect the races are a bit pitted but these are hard to find. 100 and 130 spacing.
A mate was interested but don't think he has the cash...pm me?

Back to the sizing....a BIG THANKS to NakedGav who sent (Karma stylee) a copy of Cycling Weekly with this actual bike tested (albeit with a different build). Sizing seems to have been an issue with them too.

Stuffforsale497.jpg

Stuffforsale498.jpg

Probably boring you by now :D but a little update.
Popped my in-line Syncros post in and much improved. Still a wee stretchy and do consider the family jewels when stopping...but overall....an improvement.
Out for a two hour ride tomorrow night to have a final valuation.
Carl

Back