1993 Chas Roberts

Bigfish

Old School Hero
I recently aquired this as a frame from a clubmate. It is 60cm C-T and built from Columbus TSX tubing according to the transfers. It's built up with Dura Ace 7400 from the late 80s and early 90s, most of which I had knocking around the shed.
The wheels are Dura Ace on Mavic Sup Reflex rims that I've had since 1992, and have been used for racing and training ever since.
Bars and stem are Cinelli (13.5cm XA and 64/44 respectively)
Saddle is a Regal titanium that I have been using since 1995, hence the scruffy appearance.
Seatpin is a NOS Campag super record.
The chainset is a 1998 7700 Dura Ace octalink item (I dont have a 7400 one).
Brakes are 7400 sidepulls, with Dia Compe levers. I am on the lookout for the correct levers.
The pedals shown are old Look jobs. I actually have 10 sets of Dura Ace SPD-Rs, but they are currently all on other bikes.

njksdf002.jpg

I have done a few rides, and the ride quality is superb. By way of a comparison I recently did a lap of a favourite 25 mile loop on my Scott CR1 plastic fantastic (15lbs) , then repeated the exercise on the Roberts, being careful to keep close to the same pulse rate. The times were within 30 seconds, and the surprising thing was that the Roberts actually felt livelier on the climbs (despite being 6 lbs heavier), and was certainly a lot more comfortable.

now imaging the time if you had the modern convenience of STI gears on the chas....

it would probably put the scott to shame :D :shock: :? :cool:

Absolute classic and for a big bike looks really nicely proportioned (if you ever want to move it on, just let me know).

Cheers for the feedback guys.
The next project is a Colnago Technos from the same era that needs some careful brazing to repair two small rust holes in the chainstays (from being hung up by the front wheel). I will either repair them with reinforcing sleeves or fill with brass. I don't want to have the stays replaced because the paint and chrome is otherwise very nice.

Back