Hi from Mallorca (Spain)

ROLANDO

Retro Newbie
Hi everybody!

First. Sorry for my english, but it's the best I can do...

I'm new in this forum, that I found looking at the Internet for some information about Look KG196 bikes. Recently I bought one that is a rare one, as it was originak from ONCE team, but has been "upgraded" over the years and now not as original as I would like...

This bike was one of my favourites from pro teams in the early 90's, that was when I started racing and read lots of cycling magazines... The colour is (in my opinion) the ugliest from Look catalogue, but the chance to buy the bike was there and I took it.

What now I try to do is to fix a Mavic groupset, as I think that that was the original configuration of the bike, but I cannot find any good pic from the era or other information about this model to make sure that the decision is correct. Anyone there that can give me advice about this?

Right now only one picture, but I'll post more during the proces:

(not permited to post URL in my first post, so the pic is in the reply...)

Cheers!

Nice frame, your best way to find picture is to search the internet for the riders on the team at that time - you will find more pictures that way.

What part of Mallorca are you from? It's one of my favourite places to go on holiday, I go most years.

NickD":su2i0601 said:
Nice frame, your best way to find picture is to search the internet for the riders on the team at that time - you will find more pictures that way.

What part of Mallorca are you from? It's one of my favourite places to go on holiday, I go most years.

I did it that way also, but most of the pics are from the silver frame... :-(

I live in Palma, but my shop is in Arenal... ;-)

Cheers!

Hi Rolando,

Welcome and

...nice bike!

I am currently working on a Vitus FCK9 with Mavic Zap (elektronic shifting), but seeing your frame I realize that would also have been a great start.

I do not know what and when the ONCE team raced with back in the day, but I believe to recall that one of the teams that raced with Zap for a while at some point was ONCE. Zap dates from 1993 onward.

There were also mechanical operated Mavic systems. VeloBase.com could inform you more detailed on what is what ...and when.

Yes, they did, and also CLAS-Cajastur (Rominger almost lost one Vuelta a España "thanks" to ZMS). I gess also GAN team in 93 used it. I have found one brand new ZMS in Italy, but it's a couple of years younger than the bike and not sure to buy it. As I have to be in Italy next week maybe I try to go to see it and then I'll decide.

Cheers!

It was in a time trial in (not sure) Avila. It was raining and the ZMS started to fail... As you can imagine he did not do a good performance, but finaly nothing serious and he could win the Vuelta...

Back