Is fitting suspension forks to a retro MTB a faux pas?

longendale

Devout Dirtbag
Was thinkin about putting a pair of suspension forks on my 91 Apex, would this be considered a NO-NO and maybe even a faux pas?

I know this is a retro forum an all that but just wated to know your opinions? :? Would it affect the geometry so much that it would make the bike unstable, just fancy keepin my fillings and the suspension would definitely help..!

Any info appreciated.

go for it!

i just fitted a set of rc35s to my 1990 sm700 and it rides miles better now!! it will effect the geometry but just get the right set of forks and itll be okay i reakon

Longy - some people get hung up on stuff like that. i say go for it - original Manitous or RS would be cool (and make it ride nicely). I had both at some point on my Axis

ok guys..another question...What's the right set of forks? Mines a 17'' Apex...does that help you?

Longy

Manitou 1's (no I don't have any for sale but ask Jonnyretro) or Marzocchi's best on that age DBR.

Personally I find suspension forks on bikes that were either a) not designed to have suspension or b) were around before suspension on mtbs was introduced to be offensive.

If you want suspension, but a modern bike. It works so much better and the bikes are designed to complement this suspension.

Thats just me though.

No...

1142012335_dfa01dad5d_o.jpg

I disagree. People were retrofitting suspension BÃŒTD aswell. The whole idea was that you could at least choose which fork you got, which was a good thing Imho.

But I do agree on one point - keep it short travel (i.e about 3-4 cm) and try and fit something period or your geometry will be shot to pieces.

Back