1996 Stumpjumper M2

baj

Senior Retro Guru
I bought this frame from mickyc on behalf of a mate but while waiting for it to arrive said mate decided he prefered the look of my white Rockhopper frame so he suggested we swap!!

so anyway, most of the bits from my recently departed '97 Kilauea were used to build up what you see below, i'm really pleased with it, particularly since it was supposed to be my cheapy replacement for the Kilauea while i am skint!

Frame: 17" Stumpjumper M2
Fork: Manitou SX TI in yellow
-edit- now a Marzocchi MXC Air

Headset: Cane Creek S2
Stem: Tahoma Sonne
Handlebar: Curve
Grips: Starbike hex
Barends: not yet

Brakes: Avid Single Digit 7
Brake Pads: Fibrax
Brake Cables: Clarks inners / grey XTR outer
Cantilever cable hangers: -
Brake Levers: XT M739

Shifters: XT M739 8spd
Front Derailleur: XT M752
Rear Derailleur: XT M739
Derailleur Cables: Clarks inners / grey XTR outer
Cassette: SRAM 890
Chain: SRAM 890
Cranks: XTR M960
Crank Bolts: shimano
Chainrings: Blackspire
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: External XTR
Pedals: Ritchey SPDs

Hub Skewers: XT
Rims: Mavic X221
Hubs: XT F:M737, R:M752
Nipples: yes
Spokes: yes
Tyres: Conti Cross Country in grey
Tubes: Specialized thin
Saddle: Flite Ti Transalp
Seatpost: USE
Seatpost Binder: Specialized

Weight: feels about the same as (perhaps a tad heavier than) the Kilauea did but the susforks weigh about twice that of the triple butted P2s!

03062010740.jpg

30062010756.jpg

mid 90's stumpjumper m2 frames were ahead of their time; always look good with modern kit...really liking that xtr crankset on it :D

Very nice baj ! This will ride alot better than that harsh rockhopper i sold you. ;)

shhh.... that Rockhopper is a fine piece of engineering and will serve my buddy very well ;) haha, he's happy with the way its going actually and knows the frame is not as tasty as the M2, got to say i'm looking forward to trying the ss set up..

thanks for the compliments guys, I've only ridden it a few miles round a reservoir in Pembrokeshire with my 16month old daughter in the seat on the back so couldn't really compare with the Kilauea yet.. does feel a bit sharper and a little less forgiving so far, though i never had boingers on the Kilauea either..

few small changes, most notably Mavic Crossride wheels, front disc brake and black tyres.. photos once disc set-up sorted, does anyone else know about the Marz forks / Avid caliper conflict??!!

Frame: 17" Stumpjumper M2
Fork: Manitou SX TI in yellow
-edit- now a Marzocchi MXC Air

Headset: Cane Creek S2
Stem: Tahoma Sonne
Handlebar: Zoom 130
Grips: Starbike hex
Barends: not yet

Brakes: Fr - Avid 180 disc, Rr - Avid Single Digit 7
Brake Pads: Fibrax
Brake Cables: Clarks inners / grey XTR outer
Brake Levers: Avid / XT M739

Shifters: XT M739 8spd
Front Derailleur: XT M752
Rear Derailleur: XT M760
Derailleur Cables: Clarks inners / grey XTR outer
Cassette: SRAM 890
Chain: SRAM 890
Cranks: XTR M960
Crank Bolts: shimano
Chainrings: Blackspire
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: External XTR
Pedals: Ritchey SPDs

Hub Skewers: Hope
Rims: Mavic
Hubs: Mavic Crossride
Nipples: yes
Spokes: flat ones
Tyres: Michelin XC
Tubes: Specialized thin
Saddle: Flite Ti Transalp
Seatpost: USE
Seatpost Binder: no brand allenkey

Weight: now feels rather heavier at the front, not sure i like it but yet to ride with the disc so that might change my mind..!

Great handling bikes, though the forks look a bit long. I had the 95 M2, great fun

I always thought that, perhaps they are adjustable, what travel would suit, 63? I'm not sure what they are set at now.. I did regret changing the forks but heard these were easier to service? Having said that I've not had to yet..

Back