Brakes need an ID if possible?

Nick C

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've just taken these levers off my 96 Lava Dome and I think they are a set of LX levers circa 97-98. I'd be most grateful if anyone can verify this for me or provide the correct information please.

lx_brakes_nick_01.jpg

lx_brakes_nick_02.jpg

they are shimano m600, or better known as 'LX'. very popular at the time, they were half the price of xt in 96-97. i always thought the levers were a bit flimsy looking tho, but i never had a problem with them. always gave the best feel on the 'L' setting, or 'low-power'. 'H' gave a very spongy feeling.

That's the one, thank you both for the information. BL-M600 is stamped on the side. I'll clean up the matching V-brakes and sell them on I think as I find them rather ugly, if functional.

kanerdog1x1":1vz8h80u said:
... gave the best feel on the 'L' setting, or 'low-power'. 'H' gave a very spongy feeling.
That depends on how you like them, on on the L setting you need to put all the power in to the brakes to make you stop. Hence they feel harder as less power is goign through (not as much cable pulled)
On the H setting, the brake lever is doing the work for you, but as it pulls less cable and more power is going through it can feel flexy.
I prefer the 'spongy' feel, easier to modulate and I don't have to do the hard work.

In fact if it's not 'spongy' as you say, imho it means you're brakes are not setup correctly and you cannot modulate properly ;)

Back