1998 Ibis Spanky New Pictures, new thoughts :-(

Things havn't been going smoothly...bike was described as in excellent condition and just serviced.
Well, before I ride anything I tend to take it apart and put it back together first.

1. One chainring bolt missing (the hidden one that screws into the crank arm)
2. BB knackered and stuck
3. Headset bearings shot
4. Rear hub cones pitted etc
5. Seat-post seized

All now fixed apart from the cones which are on order.

I guess some people think servicing a bike is cleaning it :x

Phew, its on the road to recovery now.

Well...here it is nearly done. Looks the same eh? BB replaced, headset regreased, stuck seat-post de-stuck (new word, I know). My first attempt at bar tape for about 35 years...not too bad but not perfect either.
Campag Record rear hub was rebuilt, then I bought these Hope Ti wheels anyway.
Gears arn't right yet as I am running Shimano block, but have replacement Hope/Campag freehub on its way.

But I fear it is too big. Was described as 21" but its actually 55.5cm
Havn't ridden road bikes for so long it feels really strange, especiallly the reach to the brake levers.
Surprised how smooth and quiet it is. Thought that 100+ PSI and these skinny tyres would have my teeth rattling, but not at all. Very smooth.

So...give it a few weeks to see if I like it or not I guess.

Stuffforsale484.jpg

Stuffforsale487.jpg

Stuffforsale488.jpg

Stuffforsale486.jpg

Stuffforsale489.jpg

Stuffforsale490.jpg

Looks lovely. Would agree the seatpost looks a tad shorter than one might expect on a frame of that vintage. How do you find the reach is I suppose the main thing.

Bad news about the problems you've had with it, it does take the shine off a new purchase. I'm glad you've got it sorted now.

It looks nice.

I have a friend who's on the lookout for something different, if you decide to sell he may be interested.

:D

John":2dhe3oy9 said:
Looks lovely. Would agree the seatpost looks a tad shorter than one might expect on a frame of that vintage. How do you find the reach is I suppose the main thing.

When my hands are on the top bars it feels fine...the reach for the brakes feels long and low...but thats maybe a case of getting used too.
Theres no real standover clearance either :(

Harryburgundy":6avzn6b4 said:
John":6avzn6b4 said:

When my hands are on the top bars it feels fine...the reach for the brakes feels long and low...but thats maybe a case of getting used too.
Theres no real standover clearance either :(

Could be worth trying a shorter stem and some modern bars with a narrower (ie less reach) drop.

However if it ain't right, sad as it maybe, sometimes you just have to move it on. Recently had to move a steelman and merckx on due to incorrect fit...

You can try the shorter stem, I tend to ride bikes with less standover clearance than would be normal, but I am fairly long in the body, so need to ride a fairly large frame if I am to ensure I have enough reach, if you are stretched both ways it may just be a little big for you.

Some of the more modern handlebars have very little reach forward and would mean you are reaching forward probably 1" less. Something like the Salsa Poco. You could also try a seatpost without any layback?

Its a lovely looking bike & worth fiddling with to get right.

Back