Alloy drop bar corrosion

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Recently picked up a bike with a set of cinelli drops on. Just stripped the bike the other night to find the alloy bars were quite badly corroded around where the brake levers would clamp. Quite surprising, never seen a bar corrode in this place or fashion before. Quite glad I never rode the bike in anger with these bars on !

Attachments

• 10062010029.jpg
    10062010029.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 809
Nasty. That's not just ordinary corrosion, looks like maybe the glue on the tape or maybe something used to clean off old glue has attacked the aluminium.

Some people have really corrosive sweat that just kills rubber grips, bar tape, headset bearings and anything else it comes into contact with.... And this is not a joke.

dbmtb":yjxgn23k said:
Some people have really corrosive sweat that just kills rubber grips, bar tape, headset bearings and anything else it comes into contact with.... And this is not a joke.

Elite sells a protective thing to put over your bike when on the turbo trainer to stop the sweat damaging the bike .

dbmtb":1n53qix1 said:

what he said. I've often come across this when dismantling stuff.

It comes off with a wire brush attachment, BUT check for any pitting, you dont want anything snapping at an important moment

IME, this seems to be a worse problem with a lot of the vintage Cinelli stuff I've worked on.

I've no scientific reason for it, it's purely an observation based on taking lots of old bikes apart.

I also had this corrosion on a set of bars I once bought. The bar tape was still on them and under the tape were patches of white powder, I think sweat had soaked in and corroded the aluminium.

So always take the tape off to check before buying old bars, otherwise they might be only usable on a turbo bike.

Latest posts

Back