1976 Joe Breeze road bike

Great thread indeed. Thanks to Joe for sharing some of his fantastic craftsmanship. I wasn't aware of Eisentraut until relatively recently, nice connection that Breeze learnt from him.

Interesting comment regarding the road frames. Will you be making these personally? And from steel?

Now there's a Breeze MTB thread on the go will move this over into the road section.

Fabulous frames Joe, the filing on the lugwork is superb. Not a scratch out of place anywhere. How long did it take to finish one of these after the main building had finished? This is where a lot of the cost comes in, the time and handwork needed to get a frame to this quality.

And you can ride out of the saddle on a tandem! Do you have any limits!!

What were you riding when this was taken?

Attachments

• ICSSept71.jpg
    ICSSept71.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,284
Old Ned":gu2y3c0b said:
Fabulous frames Joe, the filing on the lugwork is superb. Not a scratch out of place anywhere. How long did it take to finish one of these after the main building had finished? This is where a lot of the cost comes in, the time and handwork needed to get a frame to this quality.

And you can ride out of the saddle on a tandem! Do you have any limits!!

What were you riding when this was taken?

Holy Cow! Old Ned, you have my attention.

I do not have a copy of this International Cycle Sport (it was on newsstands in the US), but certainly do remember the story. Wow, to be in a European bike magazine. I was a stunned 17 year old.

Oddly enough (and what are the chances?) I saw a scan of this photo (a fuzzy one) for the first time since then, only LAST NIGHT. So very weird. BUT DELIGHTFUL. That photo was shot in 1971. The story, as you know, was on the emergence of High School racing in Marin County (just across the Golden Gate from San Fran). That racing was practically the beginning for me. That HS racing was short lived: 1971-73. The driving force, David Smiley, died of a heart attack in 1973 and that was the end. BUT the program had quite an impact on many of us. It was a boost to USCF (ABLofA) racing. Some us soon formed Velo Club Tamalpais, crucible of MTB'ing, and even went into the biz.

My bike: a 1971 Legnano Roma Olimpiad. Blue/white with Reynolds tubing. All Campi w/ Universal brakes. I must have a photo around here somewhere. I rode the bike through Europe that summer. Even met Cino Cinelli! Can you imagine a 17-year-old entranced with cycling meeting Signor Cinelli? I tell ya, like meeting God!

Because I polished JB007 (and because it was for a sculpture show) I had something north of 100 hours in it. Not that I was particularly speedy with the other frames. :)

-Joe

Old Ned":1geztjxl said:
orange71":1geztjxl said:
Can you imagine a 17-year-old entranced with cycling meeting Signor Cinelli? I tell ya, like meeting God

pretty much how we're feeling right now ;)

Absolutely!

(written in a kneeling position facing West!)

Too kind. I already used my "regular guy" card on this thread or somewhere on RB or MTBR, but I think there's truth there.

Anyway, so I love bikes. Maybe you'll find some in my Breezer Kite from 1989.

BTW, you might notice that the brake in the photo on the call-out card is different from the close-up shot. The final version wasn't ready until after the Brainstein-Quay photo session. It wasn't in place for my Brian Fessenden studio shoot either, but it was on the bike at the B-Q Gallery. This here might be the first public showing of this brake outside B-Q and 1989 Interbike. One arm is aluminum, the other SS. The brake design worked well, but Ross Shafer (Salsa) was busy with a lot of other things.

Two more in a moment.

-Joe

Attachments

• Kite written details5m.jpg
    Kite written details5m.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,476
  • 89BreezeKiteStem5m.jpg
    89BreezeKiteStem5m.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,476
  • 89BreezeKiteBrake5m.jpg
    89BreezeKiteBrake5m.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,476
  • 89BreezerKiteDetail5m.jpg
    89BreezerKiteDetail5m.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,476
Here are two Kite photos by Brian Fessenden. After Mush Emmons moved to Brazil Brian shot our Breezers (and many others).

Paint is by master builder and painter, Ed Litton. He put stars in the night sky.

Those dropouts are my first with the 3D "Breeze In"-like shape. I got the idea from the Trailmaster bikes in 1980. One of those "duh" moments, yet I didn't get my BreezeIns onto a Breezer production frame until 1993. In the meantime, by 1991 anyway, Mitchell Garvin had fabricated some for Otis Guy Cycles. Good things can take a while.

-Joe

Attachments

• 89BreezerKiteRTipsBFm5.jpg
    89BreezerKiteRTipsBFm5.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,469
  • 89BreezerKiteDerBFm5.jpg
    89BreezerKiteDerBFm5.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,469
cchris2lou":25b7gqul said:
Did the Kite frame ever went into production ?

No, it did not. I was pretty high on the Kite for awhile and considered making more, but in the end it was more than I cared to bite off. Word of the Kite got around far and wide. An engineer involved with I. M. Pei's Louvre pyramid and America's Cup sailboats called me to suggest a way to improve the tensioning.

In the early 1990s, while visiting Bike magazine in Germany I spied a Corratec with a design mighty similar to the Kite. I'm not sure how far they got with that model.

Not long after I made the Kite I learned of a similar bike made in Australia in the 1960 or 70s. And in the late 1880s there was I think a Starley model with a similar design. Not with cables but with rods.

Oh, and right in the B-Q show was an entry by Paul Brown with a similar design. Was it something in the airwaves? Or?

-Joe

orange71":145z3kcr said:
Can you imagine a 17-year-old entranced with cycling meeting Signor Cinelli? I tell ya, like meeting God

pretty much how we're feeling right now ;)

you got that right!

waynesworld.jpg

Back