My DK Legend & Schwinn Pro Modified & Standard Sta 5

echihn

Dirt Disciple
Well, since I cracked the headtube on my Schwinn race frame, I started searching for frames. I found a literally new (it was a window display at a LBS) on craigslist. Turns out some kid won it at a dirt jump contest the shop had. 80$ later I have a new USA made 4130 Legend frame.

The build.

-DK USA made 4130 legend frame (still not sure on date. too busy to dig into it)
-Fit Shiv forks / First Gen Sinister forks
Pig unsealed upper headset / Canecreek lower w / 45 degree face to mate up with the integrated race on the shiv forks.
-Profile racing crankset w/ ti spindle w/ 40t imperial chainwheel
- MOST important thing on the bike... by far... Primo Tenderizer pedals. Been using em for many years. Have them on all my bikes minus my ss which has some 858's.
-Sun BFR rims laced to a Bulletproof sealed front, Profile Cassette with modified pawls
-Ti Railed Flite seat
-Some really nice seatpost I forgot the brand of (de-logo'd it for obvious reasons)
-IRC Siren Front tire, Primo rear
XT brakes / lever (Tektro in pic. I'll post an updated bike pic this week)
-Standard Strip Bars, Standard Racing Stem
-Answer Stemlock (bent pos... but it still works!)

All these parts came off my Pro Modified Frame.

pbpic4317289.jpg

2001 Schwinn Matt Pohlkamp Pro Modified. The bike was painted many many many times. I polished the rear chainstays at first (whole frame was red before), then I sandblasted it, painted, sandblasted etc. lol.

pbpic1807122.jpg

pics are linked from my pinkbike. If they don't work for you ghuys I'll uplooad em to my host after work and school.

pbpic1136003.jpg

perry":3l15icx7 said:
Stronger than all , except when the headtube flairs :LOL:

never. And the standard saw dozens of 20 stair drops, and beatdowns beyond belief. Alongside old 2hip and kink frames, bar none one of the strongest bikes ever made. Penalty... heavy as hell (remember those days. Where your avg hardcore street bike was in the high 30's to 40's. Real metal :)

heehee gettin down and dirty on the STA 5 0 status :)

12164_1254181468265_1041394688_814954_2926366_n.jpg

Gettin down with the big 180 stalls

11243_1247890110985_1041394688_796112_4693270_n.jpg

I've always rated Standard, IMO the best BMXs you can buy, if I could afford it I'd love a 125 :D

Only bike that could withstand anything was probably that old King frame that came out in the late 90s, think Jerry Galley used to ride one and it wa sbuilt like the proverbial brick s**thouse!

Neil G":agdsvr89 said:
I've always rated Standard, IMO the best BMXs you can buy, if I could afford it I'd love a 125 :D

Only bike that could withstand anything was probably that old King frame that came out in the late 90s, think Jerry Galley used to ride one and it wa sbuilt like the proverbial brick s**thouse!

Its sad... kids these days have 0 clue about safety, or intended product use. Everyone is on this if it is light it means it's good, and better than everything elsle... because it's light... and that is the only thing that matters. Really lame. I look at it as A: a lack of common sense, B: the majority of bikers these days have 0 clue about anything revolving around bikes... they go off what the media feeds to them. C: people are just complete idiots.

An example of this is a bike I said a kid throwing major hype over on pink bike. He was bashing on everyone elses bikes because they were heavy. I looked at his bike, and he was running a low 20lb street bmx bike using odyssey race forks. He kept going on and on about how strong his bike is for street... but yet he has RACE specific parts on his bike. His ordeal is "well they haven't broke yet, so that means they are strong as hell". My comment was... no, you have just been lucky you haven't snapped your forks off... it's nothing to do with strength... it's everything to do with probability. He didn't understand what probability was so I left it at that. All I could do is wish the best for the guy and tell him to stay in school. Don't think that will happen....

btw, how many of these types of bikes do you see around these days? It's incredible. I'll say one thing... I'd never beat on my race bmx bike because I DID snap forks... I have snapped cranks, and I have taco'd wheels. And that was ALL while RACING. Imagine if I was riding street or dirt jumping. Even me bike now, the shiv forks that are made for street/dj, are at MOST a very lightweight race fork. I wouldn't trust them for anything over strict racing disciplines. But yet, people throw pegs on them and beat on em all day. They don't break, so people say they are indestructible. No one has drawn the lucky number yet and broke their neck. But of course... it will happen... and when it does it will send shockwaves through the industry. Literally.

Except tons and tons of people run Odyssey Race forks on street bikes and they are absolutely solid. They are called 'Race forks' but they aren't really race forks. If they fail sometimes, it isn't at a rate that's any higher than circa 2000 forks that weigh 3 times as much. I run Sunday Morning forks (Odyssey Race with a different name) with pegs and beat them all day and I 100% trust them. They are fit for purpose, if they weren't Odyssey wouldn't be the biggest and most respected parts company in BMX. Same goes for S&M/Fit. Look what happened with UK Bike Co; the frames weren't fit for purpose and it killed them.

And that's really my point: weight saving can go too far, but this old man 'lightweight is rubbish' thinking is just wrong. You'll find that every fork out there now is similar in weight to an Odyssey Race or Fit Shiv. Forks don't weigh 4lbs anymore because they don't need to weigh 4lbs anymore, technology has moved on (or you could say, has been introduced).

You have to understand that the quality of materials used for parts now is a lot better. So is the engineering of these parts.

I tacoed a alex triple wall rim once but rode harder on a Hazzard Lite that wouldn't warp at all.

Back when bikes were heavy, companies had to just use technology and materials factories had at the time. As time went on, they obviously became bigger customers and since other companies had their stuff made at the same place, they had more push to have different ideas implemented into the manufacturing.

However, UK Bike Co sucked.

Back