Votec / Porsche Bike S - 13 years on...

old_banger

Devout Dirtbag
Hi to all,

Here's another of my bike that has been with me since new from day 1 - A VOTEC / Porsche Bike S in Indian Red finish. Not really a 'desirable' bike in terms of MTB talk, but it is really a sweet gem when sorted out & ridden ;)

pbs3.jpg

And the Owners leather bound manual that comes with it. All 314 pages of detailed maintenance guides right down to striping the fork down

pbs1.jpg

pbs2.jpg

The Frame & fork were manufactured in 1997. And after I bought the bike new with crappy parts, and kept the fork while other owners ditched their asap. The GS97 forks are actually very well built...only downside was that the stock damping felt too soggy and soft for bigger riders. Here's the current setup after I've changed most of the stock parts...and my...it did rode better and the frame was a gem even though it wasn't what weight weenies wanted.....

Brief rundown on stuffs :

Frame & Fork - Votec / Porsche bike S with Votec GS97 Fork

Wheels :-
- Sun Rims Buzz Carbon fiber F&R 32H
- Hubs (front/rear) - Chris King Classic in anodized gold finish
- Spokes - Marwi 'Tie Dye' Titanium throughout
- Spoke nipples - Marwi alloy anodized (salsa color schemes)
- Salsa Ti skewers (Fr - gold anodized / rear- salsa color scheme)
- Maxxis High Roller 2.35 front / Maxxis Holy Roller 2.2 rear
- SRP Titanium rear cassette 8spd

Drivetrain & shifters :-
- Sachs Extreme shifters 8spd
- Sach Plasma Rear D / front D
- CODA Magic M900 175mm crank set (I love 'em ! these cranks were on most of my previous bikes...Thanks Jeff!)
- Pedals - Shimano M747 spd pedals with Titanium Spindles
- Brakes - Magura hs33
- Handlebar - Syncros Gorilla 0 degree sweep (flat as a ruler..hah)
- Saddle - Selle Italia Flite Ti
- Seatpost - Thomson Elite Laid back 27.2mm / length 410mm with custom shims to downsize from factory spec 31.8mm seat tube (Post '97 stuff)
- Black seatpost clamp with Cook Bros Racing lever in anodized red

Misc stuff :-
- Cateye Enduro 8 cyclo computer
- Ringle H2O bottle cage in black

Frame

1997 Porsche Bike S (Indian Red) - Manufactured by Votec bikes
Frame material : 7020 alloy (AIZn4, 5Mg1)
pbs4.jpg

Fork

Fork on the Bike S is the VOTEC GS97 with following features :
- Double clamp ( nice CNC bits) handle stems
- Vario Stem system with adjustable Stem lengths (115mm/ 125mm/ 135mm) & also stem is height adjustable - useful stuff!!!!

Fork has adjustable travel of : 80mm / 100mm / 120mm / 140mm - Seems like not many owners ventured into this....the damping can also be customized , along with spring rates for owners weight (again, nobody did that....I tried and was worth it!)
pbs8.jpg

Drivetrain & Stuffs

View of cockpit .... ;)
pbs7.jpg

pbs6.jpg

Wheels & such...
pbs14.jpg

pbs9.jpg

Cranks & stuffs.......
pbs11.jpg

pbs13.jpg

Last but not least....The bike & the 'Family portrait' :
ps2.jpg

pbs5.jpg

ps10.jpg

.....& this is dedicated to all married bikers :LOL:
pbs12.jpg

Regards :D :D :LOL: :LOL:

Very nice, I have always liked them, especially the fork/stem/handle bar combo :D
There was a guy selling one here in NZ, but he wanted about $10000! Something like $3300 pounds :shock:

Thats very cool, loving the leather bound handbook :shock:

Also liking your T-26 would like to see more of that.

Hi andrewl, IDB1, Alex Creasy, cchris2lou, WD Pro & sinnette177

Thank you guys for the positive comments....much appreciated :D :D :D

Best regards !

FST4RD":znc85aht said:
Very nice, I have always liked them, especially the fork/stem/handle bar combo :D
There was a guy selling one here in NZ, but he wanted about $10000! Something like $3300 pounds :shock:

Hi FST4RD,

Thanks dude !

....anyway if it's the Yellow Bike FS Evolution with Spengle Rims and Mostly Carbon bits, it was retailing new for about SGD$12000 back in 1998-99. Agree with you on the fork/stem combo and the adjustability aspect...but the spring rate & damping on the stock fork at 3"travel was quite a let down...I rebuilt the fork and added spring rates of my choice and suspension travel can now be adjusted according to my liking, not 'on the fly' though . Nope they don't bob up and down either and are very low on maintenance.

Cheers & enjoy your ride :D

Back