Show us your BREEZER

Breezin":qca2gfef said:
bduc61":qca2gfef said:
well feel a bit impressed in such famous company ;)

happy to have rebuilt one of the so few present on french soil :cool:

a late all steel lightning

Lordy! They were built to be ridden. But wonderful to see a '96 in near stock, mint condition!

-Joe

Joe
Thanks for the compliment
Was lucky to find the frame & fork in very good condition, but this rebuild is nearly a tribute to "retrobikers" all over the world ;)
as I managed to source fitting parts in the UK, Germany, France, the USA, the Netherlands, mostly through "retrobike" :idea: :mrgreen:

and thanks to you again as because of this breezer, I learned to build a wheelset ;) could not find catalog like ritchey rims but went the french way with nice mavic 217 on M910 hubs ( a slight upgrade of catalog !)

would now love to find an ignaz but that's probably a dream as in Europe, I have seen only one old sale post in Germany and getting them from the States is quite difficult and very costly :cry:

Breezin":a8q066lx said:
I don't suppose there will be many (any?) UK postings of Breezers much before 1991, so here's my 1982 Breezer.

The differences between 1980 and 1982 Breezer frames are minor. 1980 and 81 had obvious collars at the end of the head tube and seat tube. 1982-85 had internal reinforcement at HT, actually part of the bored out head tube. The seat collar was disguised by the brass fillet. The 82 BB was bored out too. Head and seat angles were 70 degrees on both.

I do look forward to seeing more modern Breezers.

-Joe

So awesome.

What a start to this thread :cool:

Here's my offering which has now reminded me I must my camera out to show it now as I have removed bar-ends and put fresh DX crank arms now :shock: But still has original reflectors and warning stickers by q/r's :LOL:

October2009Video061.jpg

Keep them coming please !

More pics here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 01#530001/

in the breezer family I ask for the "boy" ;)

this jet stream 94 in 17' built for one of my boys
not so tricky a build as I was lucky and got the bike very close to catalog
only the tyres, grips and pedals are not original

I confess that its not ridden much as the youngster prefers a front suspended bike but still an old school steel one ! :LOL: ( Sunn 5000 max 1996 )

IMG_2815.jpg

I cam across this picture of a breezer on Charlie Kelly' website.
This is the description that goes with the images:
Between December of 1989 and January of 1990 the Braunstein-Quay Gallery in San Francisco hosted a show called The Art of the Mountain Bike. A number of Northern California mountain bike frame builders were asked to put together their most artistic versions of their work, which were displayed at the gallery. In connection with the show, the gallery issued these photographs and descriptions of the bikes. The frame builders were Joe Breeze, Paul Brown, Charlie Cunningham, Otis Guy, Jeff Lindsay, Ed Litton, Craig Mitchell, Scot Nicol, Steve Potts, Jeffrey Richman and Tom Ritchey.

Attachments

• JoeBreeze_1.jpg
    JoeBreeze_1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 4,143
Some cool Breezers on this thread. Esp #1 and the '82 model as posted by Mr Breeze himself :cool:

This is a 1988 American Breezer. In 1986 I teamed up with American, builders of some nice aluminum MTBs in St. Cloud, Minnesota. I went with mid-size aluminum as the big tubes were getting a rep for beating you up. The American Breezers help up well. This one is not mine, but I built it up for a neighbor. It happens to be for sale ($1500). Must be the cleanest AB in existence and has fewer than 100 miles on it. Great neighbor, but he put in his miles in his youth.

I designed this frame specifically for the Browning electric-shift gated chainring system, but we used it for all American Breezers from 1988 to our split in 1990.

-Joe

Attachments

• 88AmBreezerBB5m.jpg
    88AmBreezerBB5m.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 4,109
  • 88AmBreezerSide5m.jpg
    88AmBreezerSide5m.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 4,110
Breezin":odl8zeq4 said:
This is a 1988 American Breezer. In 1986 I teamed up with American, builders of some nice aluminum MTBs in St. Cloud, Minnesota. I went with mid-size aluminum as the big tubes were getting a rep for beating you up. The American Breezers help up well. This one is not mine, but I built it up for a neighbor. It happens to be for sale ($1500). Must be the cleanest AB in existence and has fewer than 100 miles on it. Great neighbor, but he put in his miles in his youth.

I designed this frame specifically for the Browning electric-shift gated chainring system, but we used it for all American Breezers from 1988 to our split in 1990.

-Joe

Hi Joe, looked at this on ebay a few times and wandered about its authenticity.

Glad you've cleared that one up ;)

Loving your earlier piccys too, its brilliant seeing you about the site :D

Here is a pic of my 91 storm, sadly let it go as it was an inch too small :(

Chris.

IMG_1460.jpg

That American Breezer looks box fresh! How did you alter the design to allow for the Browning transmission? And how did you find it worked?

Assume most (or all) of your 70s/80s stuff was fillet brazed? Did you TIG weld any of your frames back then? Or did you favour the more traditional methods?

Also interested in the design of your current frames. Quite unusual to see such a shaped down tube on a steel frame as your current Lightening, what was the rationale behind this?

For those interested (and who wouldn't be) Mombat has quite a good timeline on Breeze here > http://mombat.org/Breezer.htm

Back