Campag mech/shifters...Shimano cassette???

Ambrosio make Campag splined cassettes to fit Shimano hubs and vice-versa (at least in 10 speed) so you should be able to get a working set of gears no matter which hubs you have (if you are on 10 speed of course).

A mate uses the Shimergo set-up from the CTC Forum and has done for years very successfully.

pigman":35axhino said:
the problem with mixing and matching incompatible parts (in terms of indexing) is it all works when everything is crisp and new. Similarly, what sometimes doesnt work when new, sorta works when mechs and pivots get older and sloppy. Even then, what one man thinks is a good index is not satisfactory for another - it depends how fussy you are.

That's exactly what the LBS said. In fact, when I came in to show off that the much-doubted Shimegro setup worked like a dream they invited me to come show them again in a few months time when things had worn a bit.
Regarding the quality of the indexing: no doubts here I'm afraid. It's not a matter of the quality of the indexing - it won't index. Even with the bike riderless, the chain jumps and skips, moves more than one sprocket at a time - just like when your drivetrain is badly worn, or you've tried to replace part of a worn drivetrain with a new component.
That it even does this with the Campag-spaced Mavic cassette leads me to think its either the cable or the chain.

Old Ned":35axhino said:
Ambrosio make Campag splined cassettes to fit Shimano hubs and vice-versa (at least in 10 speed) so you should be able to get a working set of gears no matter which hubs you have (if you are on 10 speed of course).

I've got one! Got one and lost one of the spacers. Those Ambrosio cassettes are horrible, cheap and heavy. When shifting I didn't get that positive "thunk" noise you get with a decent cassette. Very vague and wooly, and it looked horrible.

Still though, the gearing problem has left a bike I've chucked a lot of money at abandoned in my bedroom - if it means getting it back on the road, I might just get another one and live with it.

Easiest solution to that is to replace the cassette with a Shimano 8 speed one and fit a Shimano rear mech.

Campag 10s shifters pull EXACTLY the same cable per click as Shimano 8.

hamster":15ylgm13 said:
Easiest solution to that is to replace the cassette with a Shimano 8 speed one and fit a Shimano rear mech.

Campag 10s shifters pull EXACTLY the same cable per click as Shimano 8.

+1 to that. Any Shimano-compatible mech should work a treat; I use Mavic 840 derailleurs with Campag 10sp levers and HG50 8sp cassettes on 2 different bikes and the shifting is very clean. One of these is a 'cross bike where I get 2 benefits; (1) Ergopower has less vulnerable cables for off-roading than STI even though the world and his wife still seems to be racing on the latter (apparently because using Campag road parts for 'cross invalidates the warranty) and (2) 8-speed stuff seems able to take more of a battering off-road; I've witnessed 10- and 11-speed stuff often not being up to the rigours of cyclo-cross racing, especially the mechs.
A couple of years back there was even an "official" Shimergo set-up on the market, as Raleigh used Campag Xenon 9sp levers on one of their cheapish road bikes to control a 14sp Shimano transmission!

David

Thanks chaps but....as mentioned my Campag groupset is 8 Speed Record circa 96.
I have a Shimano 7 speed in the cave which some say should work...I'll give it a go and see what happens :D
Cheers
Carl

i-am-iron-man":39hdx7q3 said:
Still though, the gearing problem has left a bike I've chucked a lot of money at abandoned in my bedroom - if it means getting it back on the road, I might just get another one and live with it.
right, as I understand it, you have campag 10 speed levers, campag 10 speed rear mech and shimano 9 spd cassette. Easiest solution (providing youre prepared to forego the bike running all campag) is to get a shimano 9/10 speed rear mech and attach the cable in the "hubbub" method per the link below. I can vouch for it and have successfully done this for years - it works perfectly, no compromise. A bit of shopping on cycling forums should get you a lightly used ultegra mech for less than £20. Good luck

http://www.hubbubcustom.com/articles_ergopower.html

pigman":2dwlyw6f said:
i-am-iron-man":2dwlyw6f said:
right, as I understand it, you have campag 10 speed levers, campag 10 speed rear mech and shimano 9 spd cassette. Easiest solution (providing youre prepared to forego the bike running all campag) is to get a shimano 9/10 speed rear mech and attach the cable in the "hubbub" method per the link below. I can vouch for it and have successfully done this for years - it works perfectly, no compromise. A bit of shopping on cycling forums should get you a lightly used ultegra mech for less than £20. Good luck

http://www.hubbubcustom.com/articles_ergopower.html

Great success! I fixed it last night - all my worries were down to the gear cable - bike seems to be working fine.

I haven't re-fitted the Ultegra 9-speed cassette, sticking with my Mavic M10 cassette. I can only run it 9-speed on a regular Shimano freehub, but it has Campag 10-speed spacing, so any indexing worries should be over.

Okay....tried putting things together today.
Had an 7 Speed Shimano cassette off-road ratios I guess at 12-28
Works fine bottom half of the block...but top half goes a bit pear shaped. I also can't 'stop' the rear mech at the 7th cog which is no good.
Plan B.

I run '90's Record Campag. Actually its badged Sach but Mercian say the CarbonBB logo means its Record. I am using a Campag Mirage 9 speed mech on a 8 speed Shimano cassette . Faultless. God knows what the chain is. Supect its an old 9 speeder of a mountain bike as I can't junk anything. 27 worn brake blocks anyone? I have used a variety of rear mechs. Several Shimano, MTB and road, an old Super Record (actually that should go back on now I have a smaller cassette) and even a very very old Simplex. All but the last worked fine. The current one fits in best with my pathetic attempt to make a 1983 Raleigh look modern.

I'm now running with a new 8 Speed (Tiagra) cassette and its fine, but I have a Campag freehub which I will fit soon...just to keep it all campag.

Back