Campag mech/shifters...Shimano cassette???

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Mmmm..is this going to work?
Just bought some wheels with shimano hub...rest of bike is 1996 Campag Record.
Is the spacing the same for Shimano/Campag blocks (8 speed)?
Read somewhere that a 7speed Shimano cassette will work???

8 speed campag has the same spacing between each sprocket as 7 speed shimano at 5mm. 8 speed shimano is closer. So you should get your levers & mechs to work on a shimano 7 spd cassette, with a redundant click on the levers.

campag to shimano

re campag to shimano

check out 'shimago' on the internet

on my cross bike I use campag ergo's 9 speed levers, lighter than shimano

shimano 105 rear mech , lighter than campag

campag 9 speed 13 - 26 cassette

fitted a 9 speed shimano rear wheel off another bike and it worked perfectly

campag are phasing out 9 speed equipment and expect you to change over to 10 or 11 speed

shimano 9 speed levers work perfectly on an 8 speed shimano cassette

my recom put it in and try it

I ran Veloce over 8 speed HG for a few years, no probs.
Just put the cable to the wrong side of the pinch bolt.

Thank you.
The current cassette fitted to the bike (which I assumed was campag) has spacers 3.5mm width :?
Think I'll whack a cassette on and see what clicks
Best
Carl

The spacers are 3.5mm, but you also have to add in the thickness of one cog...then you get the 5.0mm

5.0 refers to the pitch of the cogs, not the spacer thickness.

hamster":3brs7r9o said:
The spacers are 3.5mm, but you also have to add in the thickness of one cog...then you get the 5.0mm

5.0 refers to the pitch of the cogs, not the spacer thickness.

Everydays a schoolday :D Thanks

The cause of much bike-stress, and hours of attempting to solve a puzzle that has no end...

My Kona has Shimano-splined hubs and a Campag Centaur ten-speed set-up. I read that a nine-speed Shimano cassette would work great if you index it perfectly on gear five. Someone had worked out that there was like .5mm difference at either end of the cassette over an all-Campag setup, which the jocket wheel should soak up no worries.

Worked brilliant! Paired it up with a KMC chain and I spend an entire Summer on it with zero problems. However, one day it unexpectedly stopped working for no reason - I can't get it to index for love nor money.

I've tried using a Mavic M10 cassette with Shimano splines and Campag 10-speed spacing too, but given that it is too wide for a standard Shimano freehub, I had to set it up as nine-speed with a 1mm spacer (btw, I always take a dim view of fannying around with gear set-ups liek this when other people do it). Fits fine, but again, will not index for love nor money. I had it running perfectly for a day but then it stopped working.

Going back to basics now - will replace the gear cable for starters before thinking about the chain, but it is nowhere near the end of its life.

So - it kinda works - but trying to index my gears has driven me up the wall I have punched my bike a la Basil Fawlty.

the problem with mixing and matching incompatible parts (in terms of indexing) is it all works when everything is crisp and new. Similarly, what sometimes doesnt work when new, sorta works when mechs and pivots get older and sloppy. Even then, what one man thinks is a good index is not satisfactory for another - it depends how fussy you are. I have spent a good deal of time faffing around and would support chris juden's work on the ctc website. If he says it'll work, then he's generally right. Where his work is perhaps incomplete is in three areas (havent read it recently, so maybe its been updated)
1. sram stuff - it was written pre sram road groups
2. how the new campag 11 speed might fit with others
3. more research needed on further possibilities of where to clamp the cable. He makes mention of this with his "hubbub" method, but needs to incorporate this and "reverse hubbub" into his table to hopefully reveal more available combinations

Back