Running 1x8 or 1x9

I run a 1 x 9 with a 34t up front.
I keep the chain on with a MRP Mini-me, which goes up to 34t.

The singlespeed has a bash ring... the Voodoo (1x7 still has the big ring up front as well as the middle one - but no mech)

Was thinking about chain guides since seeing one on someones bike (on here) the other day... could've been one of yours elPedro, can't be sure.

Would one of the downhill contraptions work in that respect??

Searched for seat tube mounted ones with little success -.. i.e. didn't find any

i run a ds1 (blackspire) with matching bash
the ring isnt big enough to make the chain go over the roller but its a failsafe i suppose, i use it beacuse it was impossible for my chain to stay on with my urban riding. had to cut it to fit my full sus but it was cheap (£12!). it also has the full plate at the back so the chain doesnt catch either side. it works!
before this i was using truvativ two roller thingy but that just wasnt doing it for me as the chain was still coming off!
i dont run a front mech and my chain device is closer to downhill oriented more so than anything else, so a downhill device should do it.
i dont know how people run single ring without a device! :? :?
7820.jpg

mine is slightly different to the picture, its four bolt and bb mounted with an iscg to bb adapter, also have a different bash
my bike with it mounted is in my signature ;)

Think I'm running a 35t up front with a 11-32 block...definately haven't missed having a fully geared bike.

Use a Gamut bashring/chainguard up front with a DMR chaincage bracket and a headset cap up against the chain to stop it coming off....works a treat and looks very neat as well :D

Ive used 1x8 on a road crankset using the inner @ 42T and the teeth ground off the outer to make a rather nifty chain/trouser guard.
A good use for old ano outers ;)

I've got black bontrager cranks on the Voodoo, was considering having the teeth ground off the outer ring to the very same purpose.. it's got some cool details that I'd like to keep..

Done that on a couple of bikes now, hacksaw and a good file and it doesn't take that long.

Neil G":3dkjw7jd said:
Done that on a couple of bikes now, hacksaw and a good file and it doesn't take that long.

I think I'd toddle off to someone who does this sort of thing and bung them a tenner.. don't trust myself not to make a complete hash of that..

I'd thought of doing that with the redundant big ring but couldn't be bothered! The 32 tooth-sized bash guard works just like the thing LGF has on his. Funny how you don't realise how the largest chainring help keep the chain on when you run a triple :).

Back