Ti/V.good quality rigid forks, which one?

stevek":37klf2et said:
Anyway, I weighed the "Superlights" 2.5lb is what they came out at, not bad I suppose and they are good forks, nice looking too.

Completely agree that these are very decent and aesthetically pleasing, just think that the "Superlight" term is a little misleading

Hmm... I wonder what the average weight of a set of steel forks is?

Just weighed my steel P2's and they come in at 1lb 14oz, different design I know but food for thought.

Easy to get SIDs that are close to that weight.

Superlight tag amuses me, almost tongue in cheek.. Under 2lb is pretty typical, much lighter for new carbon jobbies.

forks

cheers guys, all good info. think am going to phone dave yates and get a custom steel pair made up, that way they'll definitely not affect the geometry of the bike.

Re: forks

haggis1978":38ezedui said:
cheers guys, all good info. think am going to phone dave yates and get a custom steel pair made up, that way they'll definitely not affect the geometry of the bike.

Good idea.

gump":32wdadnq said:
Easy to get SIDs that are close to that weight.

Superlight tag amuses me, almost tongue in cheek.. Under 2lb is pretty typical, much lighter for new carbon jobbies.

Yeah, I think my SL's were under 3 lbs but sussy forks aren't the issue here although the comparison is pertinent.

Looking on that first link this bit confuses me:

Length 396mm and 430mm (same as a 80mm and 120mm suspension fork)

as there's no way 196mm is equivalent to an 80mm fork, 80mm fork is more like 440mm.

Re: forks

haggis1978":13o82jqd said:

I contacted Dave Yates a month or so ago to ask about a pair of Yo copies. From my poor description he estimated £200 plus and then an extra £30 or so for painting. Very prompt and helpful response to my e-mail

fork

yeah thats confusing me too. just off the fone to dave yates (well i think it was his missus) and said they need the axle to crown length for any fork they're going to build. just been on bikepro for the axle to crown length for a judy xc (60mmtravel) which is stated at 406mm. and on that demonchaux site they say axle to crown for an 80mm travel would be 400mm.....confused :?

Back