Paris-Roubaix - a ride report

great reports from both Ed and Gareth. Sounds like a really epic day as befits a sportive holding the name of such a venerable classic. Tempted for 2012 ;)

Get in touch closer to the time, John, always happy to sort out logistics for the retrobike massive!

John":1r477etq said:
great reports from both Ed and Gareth. Sounds like a really epic day as befits a sportive holding the name of such a venerable classic. Tempted for 2012 ;)

Your executive summary is spot on. Brutal indeed.

I rode it with 5 fellow members of the Kingston Wheelers. We had a bad start when our support van broke down 12 miles from the start - we had to remember the way down the dual carriageway from Compiègne to the start - not good.

Not much to say that hasn't been said really. Almost all of the cobbles were in a dreadful state that was made far worse by the torrential rain.

The support from the locals was fantastic. I would probably have crawled into a ditch for a cry if there weren't hundreds of people cheering me on.

I'm completely spent now, but the faithful Bob Jackson had no troubles more serious than a squeaky chain. Steel is most definitely real for that kind of ride.

158 miles plus 12 to the start. Quite a day out.

The Pavé souvenir on my desk somehow makes it all worth while, but seriously, never again!

Well done guys, you should be very proud of yourselves.
GREAT reports... I felt every cobble!
I'd be interested for 2012... :shock:

Iwasgoodonce":1aiwo5sw said:
Every now and then I contemplate going long to Ed's little ride round Herefordshire. Then I read something like this excellent report and I decide not to!

Don't be taken in by my poetic licence/BS - come along to the July road outing in Herefordshire, it'll be a great day out for all.

kaiser":1aiwo5sw said:
Another fantastic report ed :D This should be a series, Ed's Sportive Adventures. Whats next?

I rode to week today. There was some slight drizzle and an incline at one point. It was most epic.

cromoman":1aiwo5sw said:
Your executive summary is spot on. Brutal indeed.

I rode it with 5 fellow members of the Kingston Wheelers. We had a bad start when our support van broke down 12 miles from the start - we had to remember the way down the dual carriageway from Compiègne to the start - not good.

Not much to say that hasn't been said really. Almost all of the cobbles were in a dreadful state that was made far worse by the torrential rain.

The support from the locals was fantastic. I would probably have crawled into a ditch for a cry if there weren't hundreds of people cheering me on.

I'm completely spent now, but the faithful Bob Jackson had no troubles more serious than a squeaky chain. Steel is most definitely real for that kind of ride.

158 miles plus 12 to the start. Quite a day out.

The Pavé souvenir on my desk somehow makes it all worth while, but seriously, never again!

Chapeau to 170 miles, that really is doing it properly (including the 12 mile warm up before the event so that you didn't go off cold). Any photos of the bike you used?

Another great ride and report Ed :cool:

What is next for the road warrior ??

Love the description of the kit! For those scared of Ed's Herefordshire ride cobbles are a rarity on our country lanes!

I have maps of Belgian cyclemaps we use when planning routes and when I encounter cobbles I mark them on it to avoid that section in future - so admire any one who willingly puts themself up for riding them - makes the brain turn to jelly!

Well done!!

"I'm not a number, I'm a free man"

Attachments

• Sept Zero Trois.JPG
    Sept Zero Trois.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,408
Back