Ti/V.good quality rigid forks, which one?

I hear what you're saying mate but Black Sheep are in a different league from the Chinese stuff you're talking about.

I've ridden several hundred miles on my ti forks and not found any problems as yet (touch wood), if I do I'll certainly post here and let folk know.

Steve:

Aye I see that the Black Sheep ones would be awesome quality I imagine. For teh price they have got to be good.

When riding do you notice them flex manicly?

as I'm sure i've posted before so apologies if so, a friend of mine bought some Morati ones and they were only joined at the bottom of the steerer, so where the crown race fitted, there was a gap and the steerer tube moved free of the crown race and flexed to such an extent we both came to the conclusion they were not safe.

Discussions with Morati went on for ages about it.

They were light, but were not made well enough period.

So I might check them out in the flesh before getting a set of those ones.

Hi Jez:

The ride is really smooth and to be honest the only time I've seen the forks visibly flex has been under braking in the gloop and rain recently, in the dry the braking is excellent and the fork behaves itself.

To explain, I'm using Avid Ultimates with ceramic rims and the rims are starting to show a little pitting here and there, I think that and the fact that the pads (for ceramic rims BTW) had worn and needed re-aligning is what made the braking a touch 'grabby'. They have been fine since then. I don't know if a P2 steel fork would have flexed much less under the same conditions.

I'm sure I read on one of the US sites (it could have been MTBR) that XACD had addressed and rectified this problem with their forks, also it was intimated that the people that had broken the forks had been doing drops, jumps etc when this particular fork should only be used for XC.

HTH

Gus, you don't have to worry about Morati forks anymore, they've closed the titanium bicycle/components section and are just concentrating on aerospace now.

Unless you manage to find some s/hand?

I have a friend who lives in Hungary, he's been in the bike business for years and has owned several Morati bikes, his current bike is a HC1.4 with matching ti forks and he has nothing but praise for Morati and was saddened by the factory closure.

ti forks

the ti forks am looking at are £200 so i would imagine they are of good quality and not likely to snap, having said that with all the mixed reactions i might just go for the on-one forks anyway

The On-one ti forks are quite burly and very stiff, don't think they make them anymore though. :(

I have a set of the white steel superlights (disc and V) in the garage that I could possibly sell, unless you want new in which case the latest forks from on-one will be too long.

Attachments

• Superlight (3) (Medium).JPG
    Superlight (3) (Medium).JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,407
I really like the On-One Superlights (I have an older, rim brake only pair plus some Planet X Knifen forks that are the same), they look great and are really stiff and solid. But the latter part of the sentence is the key - 'superlight'? I don't think so.

I thought the Knifen were a bit heavier?

Anyway, I weighed the "Superlights" 2.5lb is what they came out at, not bad I suppose and they are good forks, nice looking too.

These have a 190mm steerer and are 415mm a-c so OK for older bikes.

Haggis, I personally wouldn't make up my mind from the musings of a bike forum, there will always be a flip-side to any topic and opinions for and against. The real info can be gotten from any bike builder. But don't just contact one, contact a few that build both titanium and steel forks (with a view to buying ;) ) and ask their opinions before making your mind up.

There's info on the net regarding titanium versus steel versus aluminium.

Back