Wharncliffe

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Now there is a large wood at Wharncliffe north west of Sheffield, I used to run around it back in the day.

What's it like now, I see http://www.singletraction.co.uk/ have got their toes in there ?
Would it be worth a visit locally only, or from a distance (about 70 miles from me in Hull which is quite a way)

When I'm in the UK again, I'll be visiting Wharncliffe - and I'll be coming a lot further than 70 miles....

I haven't ridden there since about 1998, but back then lots of off piste trails had been built, unofficially by the locals and officially for NEMBA races.

I hear that alot of the cheeky stuff has been formally recognised and in part sanitised while there are even more 'unsanctioned' trails appearing than ever.

Singletraction tend to do a good job though, and I believe there is a clearly marked red route. I'd say it's certainly somewhere worth a visit, and even better if you can tap into some local knowledge.

Hum, why has the post been moved, what's it to do with RetroMTB chat. Don't care what it was like BiTD ;) Last I heard it was in Yorkshire as a place to Ride :? aka as my Local Area Group :LOL:

Thanks for the info though,
I only used to have a Map, A Compass, My legs and headed to some white and orange triangles BiTD

i've rode upto it, too the road underpass on the way too meadowhall, went for a walk in a little bit and there's a huge drop that looks DH too me, could be fun too ride if i could get a real way in and a path that doesn't involve a stupid drop.

riden it regular ish for the last 4 years,can be great when dry but some places are shit when its been raining.the downhill and trails bits are very demanding on bikes and riders but fun to watch youths rib down.

mid summer ride definately,carpark is big enough and theres loadsa lttle loops to be riden,easy 2-4 hour sesh,id be up for it but tbh my trek wont :roll:

sounds fun, i'd be up for something arranged, if i got a guide too tell me where too go, and maybe a lift too the car park i don't know about :LOL:

FluffyChicken":15m0y3g2 said:
Hum, why has the post been moved

Don't know but it wasn't me though. I don't have any moderating muscle outside of the North West area. :?

It's only about 35 miles from me though so I'd be up for a visit.

The xc bits are so-so, the DH bits vary from hard tail ridable to sweet jesus is that a drop in or a land slip.

Awesome spot.

Back